Hard drive almost full notification- can't find files

KKnographer

Registered
I have a 128 gig boot drive. I'm getting an almost full notification. When I look at folder sizes, I see that users>me is showing 76 gigs. But there are no folders showing with anything near that amount when I show by size. I've checked each folder and emptied my dropbox folder and where all of this data is at, is a mystery.

You can show all the hidden folders on your drive.
Press Shift-Command-. (period)
Press the same Shift-Command-. to re-hide those normally-invisible folders/files

You can show all the hidden folders on your drive.
Press Shift-Command-. (period)
Press the same Shift-Command-. to re-hide those normally-invisible folders/files
I did the command but no hidden. Any other ideas? I ran a trojan scan, and nothing. Thanks!

Remembering that the system does use the hard drive for memory, what are you running when that message comes up? It could be (and I have been known to be wrong) that something is running that is a super memory hog.

I did the command but no hidden. Any other ideas? I ran a trojan scan, and nothing. Thanks!
"no hidden"?
There are absolutely hidden files on every Mac.
What version of the system are you running? (that keyboard shortcut does not work with El Capitan (OS X 10.11) and older.)
You said that you didn't find enough files stored in /Users/me to add up to the space that the folder reports.
Go to /Users/(me)/Library.
(hint: that Library folder has been hidden by default on all Mac systems since OS X 10.7)
Here's a link to a method to show your hidden files, with a terminal command - https://www.lifewire.com/view-hidden-mac-folders-using-terminal-2260776

Back