Hard Drive Space Missing - Bootcamp Related

Ciaphas Cain

Registered
Hi guys,

Recently I've been attempting to install Windows 7 on my MBP (Running Lion). A few days ago, I went through the routine of partitioning my hard drive (I had 124 GBs free) and partitioned it successfully. However, once I attempted to use the Windows 7 disk it turned out I had a defective disk and could not install Windows. Thinking the issue to be put on hold, I quite Boot Camp Assistant and acquired a new copy of Windows 7 to install that I know works.

However, when I went into Boot Camp Assistant it insisted I only have 74 GBs free of Hard drive space. This is contradictory to my "Get info" panel on my Hard drive which tells me I still have 124 GBs free. I have used Disk Utility to verify and repair permissions on my HD, booted to the Lion Recovery HD and verified and repaired every disk and permission I could. Disk Utility and Boot Camp Assistant continue to insist I only have 74 GBs free (When I know I do not, and the Get Info panel agrees).

Is there any way to get back the 50 GBs of Hard Drive space I lost without resorting to a complete reinstall of my computer? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the reply, but there are unfortunately two problems with the solution your proposed in my case.

A) When I boot into Boot Camp Assistant, it does not give me the option of "Create or Remove a Windows partition" or "Start the Windows Installer". It just goes straight into "Create Windows 7 Boot Disk", "Download Windows Support Software" or "Windows 7 Installation".

B) My hard drive is not seeing a partition being made at all which is where I think the problem is. It doesn't recognize the part that I accidentally segmented isn't being used. Disk Utility and Boot Camp Assistant don't seem to see it.

Then, just try the Windows 7 installation.
Your Boot Camp assistant is not needed, if the partition that was previously created is actually still there, so ignore Boot Camp for now.
Boot to the Windows 7 installer disk, by inserting that installer disk, and restarting while holding the C key. If the hard drive space is correctly reserved for the Windows install partition, then the Windows installer should work with that.

Thanks Delta, but unfortunately it seems that even after attempting what you said, it does not recognize there being the aforementioned missing space as a partition. Alas it seems that the 50 GBs i'm missing are floating around somewhere with no way to retrieve them. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

Then, boot to OS X, open the Boot Camp assistant, and choose Windows 7 installation, and go from there.
If that does not give you a satisfactory result - repair your hard drive with the great Disk Warrior utility.

Back