Hard drive speeds?

mw84

Registered
I'm selling my EMac and someone asked how fast the hard drive is, I've looked everywhere but can't find out. Does anyone know where I can find out?

It's the 1.25 Ghz combo drive model I got it just before last christmas.

mw84 said:
I'm selling my EMac and someone asked how fast the hard drive is, I've looked everywhere but can't find out. Does anyone know where I can find out?

It's the 1.25 Ghz combo drive model I got it just before last christmas.
The 40GB hard drive in the eMac is almost always a 5400 RPM model.

Launch 'System Profiler' ('/Applications/Utilities/'), click on the 'Hardware' disclosure triangle (to make it point down), and then click on 'ATA'.

In the panel titled 'ATA Device Tree' locate 'ATA Bus' (you may have to click on its disclosure triangle ...), and click on one of its listed items (which will be either the Combo or hard disk drive).

Beneath the 'ATA Bus' list is a description panel, which provides detailed information about the selected 'ATA Bus' item.

If you see 'Capacity:' listed along the left hand side - you have selected the hard disk drive.
Beneath 'Capacity:' is the 'Model:' identifier. You can select the text to its right. Do so, and copy it.

You now have the model number of your eMac's hard drive (in the clipboard). Go to Google, paste the information into the search field, and click the 'Google Search' button. You will then be presented with links to information (manufacturer, speed, dimensions, etc) about your eMac's hard disk drive.

It could only report it if the drive itself was programmed to report it, so it's not much of Apple's fault. It'd be like saying "I wish Apple System Profiler reported how many physical platters my hard drive has," or "I wish Apple System Profiler reported the current rotational speed of the currently mounted DVD disk." If the drive isn't programmed to report that information, it's impossible for Apple System Profiler to report that information.

True...

But Apple orders these components built-to-spec... This should be IN the spec!

Anything that's in the Marketing materials for the machine ought to be confirmable via the Apple System Profiler.

...IMHO, of course...

barhar said:
Launch 'System Profiler' ('/Applications/Utilities/'), click on the 'Hardware' disclosure triangle (to make it point down), and then click on 'ATA'.

In the panel titled 'ATA Device Tree' locate 'ATA Bus' (you may have to click on its disclosure triangle ...), and click on one of its listed items (which will be either the Combo or hard disk drive).

Beneath the 'ATA Bus' list is a description panel, which provides detailed information about the selected 'ATA Bus' item.

If you see 'Capacity:' listed along the left hand side - you have selected the hard disk drive.
Beneath 'Capacity:' is the 'Model:' identifier. You can select the text to its right. Do so, and copy it.

You now have the model number of your eMac's hard drive (in the clipboard). Go to Google, paste the information into the search field, and click the 'Google Search' button. You will then be presented with links to information (manufacturer, speed, dimensions, etc) about your eMac's hard disk drive.

Hmmm, there we go then, 7200 on my eMac 1.42 ghz model

sirstaunch, nobody said it was impossible to find this information out... There are many ways to get it.

I'm sure this took less than 2 minutes (much thanks to Google vs. Apple), but, IMHO, it ought to require less effort...

Back