Hard drive transfer

sredhead

Registered
I have a Lime ibook that won't boot anymore - someone in the forums said it appeared to be a logic board issue, but I would like to get the data from the HD. I also have a tangerine iBook and I was wondering if I could transfer the HD across - just concerned if the BIOS in the tangerine iBook can support the larger HD? I have tired to recover data from the Lime iBook HD by using Terminal without any success - as the Lime iBook is non responsive. Alternatively if there is a source of HD cases that would be an option. Any ideas are welcome.

If you have another Mac, and if you iBook has firewire you should be able to start up in "target mode" (hold down T while booting) and then the iBook will act as a firewire external HD.

brianleahy said:
If you have another Mac, and if you iBook has firewire you should be able to start up in "target mode" (hold down T while booting) and then the iBook will act as a firewire external HD.

Thanks Brian - but actually the the lime iBook has some major problems - the reset power management worked about three or 4 times but now the entire machine is as dead as a dodo. The only thing that works it the little green light on the caps key - Yes all batteries and power supply are fine. It seems it could be the logic board - but I personally believe the power management chip went down the tubes. Thus with no power being directed to the HD it won't even spin up - so the terminal or target mode won't work, it was the first thing I tried. Thanks for the idea though.

You can put the hard drive from the bad ibook into the working unit with no problems.

You say you did the power management reset four times -- this could fry the internal PRAM battery, making it difficult or even impossible to get the iBook to boot. Have you tried checking or replacing the internal PRAM battery?

This battery holds information like the date and time, and also helps direct power to certain system components like video and audio. I would start with the battery and see if that helps.

bobw said:
That iBook, I believe, doesn't have a Pram battery.

Well, I reset the power management - not the pram - is there a connection; I followed the exact procedure laid down by Apple. The first time it worked; after 3~4 months the ibook completely died again, so the same performance for 4 times - over 1 year. This last time though just no joy at all. Power is available as the caps button green light shows when the caps is pressed - but no screen, spin up from the HD - so time the CD draw will pop open, but will not run CD is added.

What other potential cause could occur from too many resets of the power management that could lead to this problem?

I check the screen from another source and its fine. Basically I would like to try anything to get it going as I would liek to retrieve the email addresses, etc.

Where are these pram batteries normally located - so I can check it out.

Any other ideas most welcome.

Like I said above, your Lime iBook doesn't have a backup (Pram) battery.

How do you know the battery is good? Have you tried a known good battery?
If you've done that already, either swap parts or have it serviced. Have you taken the hard drive out yet?

That could be a possible solution there -- sometimes the batteries in the iBooks get so bad that they'll actually prevent the computer from booting, even when connected to an outlet. Does the battery in the iBook still hold a charge, or is it dead?

Back