Hardware Requirements for 10.4

Hardware requirements are probably not much different to 10.2 and 10.3 in most respects. Of course, final figures on hardware requirements won't be available until the release date.

I thought I read something like DVD-roms somewhere. But as someone mentioned before: couldn't be, since many G5 xserves are shipped without a combo drive.

Thay gave out the Tiger Preview (and a lot of other stuff like the various SDK's) to developers on a DVD. They will probably ship Tiger on CD's like Panther.

the current requirements are G3 or higher like previous versions. The new graphics features will scale to your system, but requires higher end graphics to get the full effect. Heres the list:

Supported graphics cards:
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
ATI Radeon 9600 XT
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600
NVIDIA GeForceFX Go 5200
NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra

I have a 1.6GHz G5. It has a GeForceFX 5200. Are these Ultras or just a plain 5200?

I am wondering what is my radeon 9000 mobil 64mb worth now. Will I be excluded from the quartz extreme effects?

Surely not. They can't have added that much that extreme needs a brand new card. It used to support ANY radeon, even 7000s.

well, it looks amazing, but for the routined work, I would have such effects off anyway. Am wondering if we have any ADC-members here that got their hands on tiger.

Zammy-Sam said:
well, it looks amazing, but for the routined work, I would have such effects off anyway. Am wondering if we have any ADC-members here that got their hands on tiger.

I think the only seed has been for WWDC members. ADC seeds will probably come later. I could be wrong though

Pengu said:
Surely not. They can't have added that much that extreme needs a brand new card. It used to support ANY radeon, even 7000s.

No, it used to support any AGP Radeon. The 7000 is a PCI card (I have one) and is not supported by Quartz Extreme.

There are hacks to get Quartz Extreme to work on a non-AGP card, but it's flakey, in my opinion. Great gains in certain areas, great losses in others (like DVD playing).

Well, iLife '04 came with CD and DVD, so I don't see why Tiger wouldn't follow this setup as well.

Randman said:
Well, iLife '04 came with CD and DVD, so I don't see why Tiger wouldn't follow this setup as well.

It very may well come with both CDs and DVDs, but I'm guessing that it'll be CDs-only, or, perhaps, a boxed DVD version and a boxed CD version.

The reason that iLife came with CDs and DVDs is because some applications required a DVD drive -- GarageBand and iDVD, for example, and were not included on the CD version.

It would be kinda silly in my opinion to include both CDs and DVDs in the retail version of Tiger. They'd be doubling the media costs for no reason.

Here is what I say the requirements will be:

G3/G4/G5 processor
DVD drive (Yes, you heard me)
Built-in Firewire
128MB RAM

Go ahead and flame, I am almost willing to bet good money on this one :)

Note: These are likely to be 'artificial' requirements. The video drivers/etc still exist in the Tiger WWDC DVD to run a Lombard and early iMacs with no Firewire.

I bet you forgot AT LEAST about one thing. So? How much are you willing to bet? :)
USB I would also add to that requirement-list.
Eventhough I heard or read it somewhere - that a DVD-drive will be necessary for tiger - it doesn't make sense to me, like many other ppl guessed by now.
But what is making you so sure about this?

Yeah, I did miss a couple of things... :)

You must have a Macintosh computer with
• a PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor
• a DVD drive
• built-in FireWire
• at least 128 MB of RAM
• a built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer
• at least 2 GB of disk space available, or 3.5 GB if you install the developer tools If you see a message in the Installer that you do not have enough disk space to install Mac OS X, you can deselect items to save space.

USB doesn't need to be added to the list, because if you have built-in Firewire, you have built-in USB. Odds are that these requirements are not gonna change between now (WWDC) and the release. :)

Forgot to mention what makes me so sure... well, I know people who have seen the requirements and sent them to me. I am a developer who is very interested to know how long I can drag out my hardware before I stop being able to use the new OS releases on my Lombard.

So, your point is, that tiger is not supposed to run on most of the G5 xserves? Or will only the server version of tiger come on CDs?

Back