have 10.3 DVD installation disk, want to make install CDs for second machine

primus-d

Registered
hi folks,

I've tried looking around the net for an answer and haven't been able to find one... hopefully someone here can help!

I have 10.3 on DVD for my machine, but just bought a second (older) machine that doesn't have a DVD drive. Can anyone help me figure out how to make bootable/installable CDs from my DVD for this second machine?

Altenatively - could i put the DVD image on an external drive and use that to boot and install on the machine that needs the upgrade?

Many thanks in advance (for the help and the site)!

dp

What you want to do is against the license agreement for OS X -- only one copy per machine, unless you own the "Family Pack."

It would be better to purchase a separate copy of OS X for your older machine if you wish to run it there as well.

I do not know of a way to "split" an OS X install DVD into CDs. If it were easy, Apple probably wouldn't have the Media Exchange program for swapping DVD install disks for CD install disks.

Yes, if your older machine has the ability to boot from external USB/FireWire devices, you can install that way.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
What you want to do is against the license agreement for OS X -- only one copy per machine, unless you own the "Family Pack."

It would be better to purchase a separate copy of OS X for your older machine if you wish to run it there as well.

Yes, if your older machine has the ability to boot from external USB/FireWire devices, you can install that way.

thanks for the reply Jeff.

in terms of the licensing issue, i am thinking to buy 10.4 for my machine and put 10.3 on the older one.

how can i tell if this G3 imac has the ability to boot from external devices?

If the iMac is a Slot loading model or newer, it will boot from a USB device.
It will also boot from a Firewire device.

bobw said:
If the iMac is a Slot loading model or newer, it will boot from a USB device.
bobw - is there a source showing this to be a fact? I always explain that USB 1.1 is too slow to boot a Mac, and no Mac has the firmware needed to boot with any USB, even USB 2.0 Isn't this correct?

I've already posted a thread on a DVD to CD OSX Install Disc Conversion yesterday.

The thread is called DVD to CD OSX Install Disc.

I suppose it's legal if you do it as a backup for the original computer.

You can create a second partition on the older machine, large enough to hold the Tiger DVD's contents. Then, use your new machine to make an image of the DVD. Copy the image to the first partition of your older machine and use this image to restore it to the second partition. Delete the image from the first partition. You can now restart and boot off the second partition which starts the Tiger install DVD setup. Choose the first partition as the target. When done, erase the image from the second partition so you can use it to store data.

Back