Having Trouble Installing 10.2...

RPS

Registered
When I click on "Install Mac OS X", I get:
"Startup Disk was unable to select the install CD as the startup disk. (-2)"

PLEASE HELP ME!

I don't have OS X 10.2 yet so I can't help, sorry.

Mine is coming later this week.

Does anyone know if you can just install it over existing system WITHOUT LOSING Library file's contents? (Not System/Library, root Library)

It doesn't do a clean install unless you ask it, right? Does it erase anything (except 10.1.5 itself)?

when you double-click on install OSX, your system should re-boot to the install CD, so, sounds like your CD will not allow that, Try the firmware update for your system, it's right on your install CD, in Utilities. That might do it. Or try to force-boot to the CD by holding the 'C' key down during boot with that CD already in drive

Originally posted by DeltaMac
when you double-click on install OSX, your system should re-boot to the install CD, so, sounds like your CD will not allow that, Try the firmware update for your system, it's right on your install CD, in Utilities. That might do it. Or try to force-boot to the CD by holding the 'C' key down during boot with that CD already in drive

Damn I really hoped that was the case but it said it was up-to-date. (note: if you want to see the message click on the attachment.) And I tried rebooting with c but that didn't work as well.:(

Thanks for the fast help guys, but that isn't it either.. Anyway, a fellow mac user and friend of mine is coming to my house to see what's wrong, if he doesn't find out either, I'll be back to ask questions, if he does, I'll also come back with what went wrong and what helped it in case other people get this problem.

Try putting in the CD, then going to the Startup Disk in System Preferences, and selecting the Jaguar CD as the startup disk. Then, reboot and try the install.

If that doesn't work, reboot in OS 9, then select the Jaguar CD in the Startup Disk in the Control Panels.

Your goal is to get the Jaguar CD as the startup disk.

Let us know how it goes - we want to help you!

Yeah.. that was the first thing I tried.. The CD is shown, but it's greyed out and you can't choose it.

This is an iMac, correct? Are you using the stock CD-ROM? Can you boot off of other CDs? Is this the standard, store-bought Jaguar CD and not a copied one? I know that some people burn copy CDs and they are not bootable...

OK, the dumb question! Are you sure you're using Disk 1, and not Disk 2 in the Jaquar set? Will your system boot up to any other startup CD, like another MAC OS install CD? Find out what does work:D

Are you sure your cd drive is set to master? I had the same problem. Now I have another. I can not install os 10.2 on my G3 233 beidge. When computer boots from the cd, small apple on startup screen becomes sign- parking not allowed.(sorry if i have made some mistakes- english is my second language)

Back