Hell Freezes over Part II?: WMA on iPod, thanks to HP?

I'm sure WMA has to have some presence on iPods being a Windoze format. But WMA doesn't work with iTunes, even WinTunes, so once peecee users have a chance to experiment with aac content, do you seriously think they'll stick with WMA? If anything, it'll give more people a hands-on demo on the demos/strengths of both formats. But the iTMS and iTunes should give aac the winning edge.

The hpPod has been discussed on this board for about 5 or so days now... however, I highly doubt Apple will allow HP to add WMA support for the very reason you wondered about it. Why not just support it in the first place? Because it sucks and it's proprietary. Why should HP add it, anyway? The iTMS isn't going to start selling WMA's along with/instead of AAC's anytime during Steve Jobs's lifetime.

From Macrumors Page 2:
'In November, when asked about supporting WMA, Steve Jobs said "We decided to support an open audio codec standard [AAC] rather than a proprietary one." .... "That's our plan and we're sticking to it. We're feeling real good about it too". '

I don't think Apple will support WMA. If HP backs this, and perhaps several other vendors (including REAL), then Apple will have the dominant DRM used for digital music, thus iPod being the best option for the digital realm.

Just because M$ says it's better doesn't make it so. They say that about Windoze but we(except the trolls) know that isn't true.

Also, the "You've heard it here first!" comment further reduces credibility of the 'article'. HP's made it clear that it'll use iTMS as the store for the hPods. Thus, WMA ain't needed.

This guy is stuck up his own rear. If you try communicating with him via email, he'll just give you some smart comments without any evidence. I've read numerous articles by him and asked him for proof of what he's saying. He always replies, but without any proof, and with a few comments designed to make you feel small and insignificant.

He's more of a politician than a journalist.

Go flame him.

Whew. Thanks, guys. I was seriously worried WMA support was true. I didn't think it made sense, anyway. I'd like to see AAC succeed.

Glad to know this guy is just full of it. I shall sleep easier tonight.

Some of the responses posted below the article show clearly that many who read that article know the author is full of it. of course those posts were not up to the literary standards of this forum! :D

It's all wrong, the iPod won't have WMA support. I IMed Phil Schiller today, quite randomly, to ask him about it, and while he was short, he was very informative. I don't want everyone IMing him, because I got his username from an Apple employee who is a trusted friend of mine.

16:07:43 whitehatzero: is WMA goign to be added to the iPod?
16:08:46 schiller: We do not plan to.
16:09:01 whitehatzero: ah, okay, are the HP-Pods going to?
16:12:06 schiller: The HP iPods will have the same software and features as today's White iPod.
16:12:15 whitehatzero: all right, thank you
16:12:20 schiller: Your welcome.
16:12:22 schiller: Bye
16:12:24 whitehatzero: bye

WMA will not be on the iPod, guaranteed.

The author of the article should be stripped naked, covered in chicken feathers and be made to run with the bulls. He's an idiot, plain and simple.

The HP Digitial Music Player is an iPod, end of story. Sure, it's grey and has an HP logo on the back, but it's an iPod through and through. Remember how Sears rebranded the Atari 2600 in the early 80's? Same thing.

Just found something interesting guys. Take a gander in /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/. There are two files that catch my eye. There's an iTunes icon for OGG and WMA files. Interesting, I'm not sure how long those have been around.

You're right... However, it's probably cheaper to let the graphics guys do two more icons at the same time than have them add more icons later. ;-)

Huh. I suppose those icons are a just-in-case kind of thing. Interesting that they're there, though.

On a completely random note, say "hpPod" over and over until you find the bad pun.

Dominyo said:
I think you forgot to edit his sn out once (not that it's that hard to guess) :p

I did edit it, but if you all ready know what his screen name is, I could see why you woudl think that I didn't

MikeXpop said:
Just found something interesting guys. Take a gander in /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/. There are two files that catch my eye. There's an iTunes icon for OGG and WMA files. Interesting, I'm not sure how long those have been around.

Hee, I was about to go and look but then I remembered that I'm using my mum's PC and I skinned XP to look like OSX :)

Back