Help, Classic is making me nuts!

kenaroni

Registered
I've used OS X builds 4k33, 4k60, 4k73, and I keep having the same problem. Classic will NOT start up unless the extension "Shared Library Manager PPC" is disabled. I discovered this after much narrowing down: Leave it in, Classic will shutdown on starting. Take it out and Classic starts fine. If I boot with OS 9.1 as the startup disk, I can start up either way with success.

I'd like to be able to run Dreamweaver in Classic, and unfortunately it requires this extension. I have always had OS X on a separate partition, with a fresh install of OS 9.1 on the same partition to use for Classic. Using a G4 Tower, with 256mb RAM. Anybody have any ideas? - Ken.

StormSilver

Registered
OS X doesn't support 9.1 for Classic. You have to have 9.0.4 or earlier. That could be a reason why it's not working for you.

kenaroni

Registered
The first public beta of OS X used OS 9.04 for Classic. The current requirements are different. From Apple's website:
"The Classic environment in Mac OS X is based upon an installation of Mac OS 9.1 (included). Most Mac OS 9 compatible applications will run in the Classic environment. If you have any questions contact the vendor of your product or our Classic Compatibility list."

Ken.

boult

Originally posted by StormSilver
OS X doesn't support 9.1 for Classic. You have to have 9.0.4 or earlier. That could be a reason why it's not working for you.
Build 4K60 and 4K73 requires 9.1 for Classic support.. you must be speaking of the Public Beta build 1H39 which require 9.0.4 only .

The Standard

Registered
How do I install Appleworks from Classic to Panther OS? I have an iMac DV and deleted the old Classic OS because of space. Since then, I realized Panther did not come with a word processing program.

Please help...and Thank you.

DeltaMac

Tech
AppleWorks has never come with any OS install. It has always been a separate install (either as a commercial product, or as part of the software bundle that ships with many Macs). You may be able to find it on a restore CD that came with your system originally. If you have version 6 or later, that will work with OS X, and you can download the current updater for AppleWorks 6.2.9 to give you the last version available.