Help, Classic is making me nuts!

kenaroni

Registered
I've used OS X builds 4k33, 4k60, 4k73, and I keep having the same problem. Classic will NOT start up unless the extension "Shared Library Manager PPC" is disabled. I discovered this after much narrowing down: Leave it in, Classic will shutdown on starting. Take it out and Classic starts fine. If I boot with OS 9.1 as the startup disk, I can start up either way with success.

I'd like to be able to run Dreamweaver in Classic, and unfortunately it requires this extension. I have always had OS X on a separate partition, with a fresh install of OS 9.1 on the same partition to use for Classic. Using a G4 Tower, with 256mb RAM. Anybody have any ideas? - Ken.

OS X doesn't support 9.1 for Classic. You have to have 9.0.4 or earlier. That could be a reason why it's not working for you.

The first public beta of OS X used OS 9.04 for Classic. The current requirements are different. From Apple's website:
"The Classic environment in Mac OS X is based upon an installation of Mac OS 9.1 (included). Most Mac OS 9 compatible applications will run in the Classic environment. If you have any questions contact the vendor of your product or our Classic Compatibility list."

Ken.

Originally posted by StormSilver
OS X doesn't support 9.1 for Classic. You have to have 9.0.4 or earlier. That could be a reason why it's not working for you.

Build 4K60 and 4K73 requires 9.1 for Classic support.. you must be speaking of the Public Beta build 1H39 which require 9.0.4 only .

How do I install Appleworks from Classic to Panther OS? I have an iMac DV and deleted the old Classic OS because of space. Since then, I realized Panther did not come with a word processing program.

Please help...and Thank you.

AppleWorks has never come with any OS install. It has always been a separate install (either as a commercial product, or as part of the software bundle that ships with many Macs). You may be able to find it on a restore CD that came with your system originally. If you have version 6 or later, that will work with OS X, and you can download the current updater for AppleWorks 6.2.9 to give you the last version available.

Back