Help me get a mac book!

CharlieJ

R.I.P bobw
Please post idea's to persuade my parents to buy me a mac.
I am 13 years old going in to my tenth year of high school, the subjects I have chosen are DiDa (diploma in digital applications), Media Studies, Art, Product design.

Thanks,

CJ

Yep -- save your money. A MacBook isn't going to help you get better grades or make you a better designer or anything -- that's all based upon your own skills, study habits, and time management.

You've already got 4 other Macintosh computers (if I interpret your sig correctly) that should get you through the semester just fine. Misleading your parents into thinking that you NEED the MacBook for your classes is wrong -- if you just WANT a MacBook, tell them that and ask them how they can help you (instead of lying to them to get out of the "hassle" of saving your own money).

Instead of hitting up your parents for 100% of the cost so you can get a free notebook from them, why don't you work out a deal with them -- they pay for half, you pay for the other half with something like yard work, good grades, chores, or some kind of pay-your-parents-by-the-month plan.

I would tell them that if they don't get you a MacBook, firey death will rain down upon North America in the form of decapitated Barbie heads from space.

If they believe you, pick up one for me too.

HAhaAhaAH....just make sure that you don't sell when there's a weather forecast for a low chance of rain....that's the trick. ;)

Ohh! I got tricked! On the old game (at least on the version that shipped with the Apple II), the thunderstorm used to only happen when the rain chance was low, but not anymore. :eek:

Don't you have paper rounds in essex? I'm sure sub-13 yr olds did paper rounds when i was a kind (though the pay was so low i guess it would take a long time to get to a MacBook).

CJ MAC OSX IPOD said:
Stop telling me I dont need one and please help me in finding ways to get one

I got an idea! Instead of us just telling you how to get one, why don't you help us understand why you need one?

If you can convince us, you may be able to sway your parents.

If you can't come up with enough justification on your own (let alone cash), maybe you should lower your expectations.

CJ MAC OSX IPOD said:
Stop telling me I dont need one and please help me in finding ways to get one

Well, what do you really need it for? We know you want it.....we all would love any of the iterations of the MacBook (Pro or non-Pro). But how can you justify purchasing it? Is it something that can't be resolved with something you already have or are you just getting bit by the new-gear-bug?

I've been considering getting a MacBook Pro sometime this fall. However, after researching the issues with the MacBook Pro's thermal paste applications and now the same thing with the MacBook I'm a bit hesitant on actually getting one. I already have a work laptop (albeit it's running Ubuntu at the moment) and for now it's satisfying my work and school needs. As much as I would love to get a MacBook Pro, it can definitely wait (at least until the thermal issues are resolved by Apple themselves.....my wife's E1705 doesn't even get as warm as some people have described with the MacBook/MacBook Pro).

Gotta agree with lbj here... we don't know why you need one, so coming up with reasons to convince your parents is impossible. You know them better than we do. You know why you need (more correctly, want) a MacBook better than we do. You've bartered with your parents before -- we have not.

Simply saying, "I'm taking courses in graphics" isn't enough for us to fabricate lies to tell your parents to trick them into purchasing a computer that you do not need for your studies. You've already got several Macintosh computers -- what's wrong with them?

The short answer is that we can't make up anything because you're the only one that knows the real reasons. Tell us the real reasons, and we can help you formulate those reasons into a valid argument that you can then take to your parents. Until then, though, you're pretty much on your own -- I don't think there's anyone here with morals low enough to help you come up with half-truths and lies to finagle your parents into spending $1000 they don't need to spend.

And besides -- there are a lot of ways you can make money at 13. Paper routes. Lawn mowing. Chores for the neighbors. Lemonade stand (thanks, nixgeek!). Sell off old toys/computers/clothes/stuff. Garage sale. Those are just off the top of my head -- things I did as a kid to make a buck or two. I'm sure there's infinitely many more things one could think of if they spent 5 minutes trying.

If you're having this much trouble finding ways to make money, then I highly doubt that you'll be convincing anyone anytime soon to flat-out buy you expensive stuff. I personally think the, "Hey parents, pay for half, I'll work off the other half and bring home excellent grades" idea is decent. If you can convince them it'll help you get better grades (which I'm doubtful of), there's not many better reasons a parent would like to hear.

I'd do what Lt said sell a couple of your old machines to cover the cost. You can't expect your parents to just splash out £1400 because you want a newest toy. Is it your birthday or something?

nixgeek said:
Find an old Apple II and play Lemonade Stand.

Well, a year in and I have $620.73. Not a MacBook granted, but an Intel MacMini to play with ain't half bad for some sugary fruit drinks and a street-full of thirsty workers.

CJ MAC OSX IPOD said:
Please post idea's to persuade my parents to buy me a mac.

Dude, you have four Macs, at least one of which (if your nick is anything to go by) is good enough to run OS X. What machines are they? Let us feel your pain.

I too have lots of Macs and am considering getting a MacBook, but that's only because I genuinely need a portable solution for sorting photos and my PBG3 is having real issues with these newfangled operating systems and can't run without mains power.

I had a paying job when I was 13. There are plenty of jobs for 13-year olds and they're generally not too stressful and don't require degree-level skill sets. There's a whole world of time to do these things too if you turn off the XBox.

I have an idea, sell one or two of those macs and then ask your parents if they would help you buy a small amount of gold for investment purposes. The way gold prices are going, you won't have to buy much of it. Say even one half of an ounce. A year from now you might gain at least a 30 percent return on it. And while you let it sit, you could start a paper route.
---Just an idea---

if my memory serves me, he has an iMac G5, a mac mini, a B+W G3 Power Mac and i think a powerbook/ibook. either way it's all worth about 3 times the price of a macbook.

Back