Help me!

holytacoshelpme

Registered
A friend of mine gave me a MacBook today and of course it comes with the two gray CDs, right? She thought you needed to install it before using your MacBook, so she installed it, the Mac OSX one (I left for a while). Then I came back and saw it installing and I freaked out because you aren't supposed to install it, right? So I cancelled the installation and you probably know what happens next. Then when the both of us started up the MacBook, the HD was GONE. Spotlight keeps quitting unexpectedly and most applications won't run, Finder will not open and such. We tried inserting the OSX CD again, but now the MacBook won't recognize it.

HELP!

Use an install disk to do an Archive & Install. This way you will keep the applications, network settings, email but re-install the system files like a new fresh install. Just after an Archive & Install you will get an extra folder called "Previous System". This is your previous files so once you get out of it what you want, you can delete the folder after that.

Then I came back and saw it installing and I freaked out because you aren't supposed to install it, right?
There isn't a "supposed to install Mac OS X" or "not supposed to install Mac OS X." You install Mac OS X if you want to; don't install if you don't want to.

If Mac OS X was already installed, then installing Mac OS X from the CD/DVD will just erase what's there and re-install it.

What, exactly, do you mean by "aren't supposed to install it, right?"

Back