Help, my Safari update crashed, now nothing works

Admiral Beez

Registered
I've got iMac PowerPC G5, running OS X 10.4.11.

I ran an update two days ago (Nov 30, 2009) for iTunes and Safari. The iTunes update installed, but the Safari update failed. Now none of the main Mac software will run, including Update, Mail, Safari, or iTunes. The icons just bounce once and do not proceed with the application. Thank goodness for Firefox.

What should I do? I've downloaded the MaxOSXUpdCombo10.4.11PPC.dmg today, but can't run it. I've already tried to run the auto update through Utility Terminal, and while it said it was updating I'm still not getting anything to open. I tried deleted the Safari phist and and History files from Library Preferences, but that didn't help.

I ran Disk Utility to Verify Disk Permissions and Repair, and everything ran without any error messages. Interestingly, when I click on either of the two disk icons (149.1 GB ST3160023As) and (Macintosh HD), neither will allow the Repair Disk icon on Disk Utility to work, it stays shaded.

I again ran Disk Utility and this time clicked on the top Disk Drive and then clicked "Verify Disk". A window popped up saying "First Aid Failed - Disk Utility stopped verifying Macintosh HD because the following error was encountered: The underlying task reported failure to exit"

Below this, here's what Disk Utility Reported:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
%)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume free block count
Invalid volume free block count
%@ instead of %@)",2)
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.
Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit
1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

Please help. Honestly, all I did was run auto update. I have the original system disks, and can run them if someone shows me how to fix this, as long as I'm not risking all my photos and files, etc. Yes, I should buy an external drive, will do.

What should I do? I've downloaded the MaxOSXUpdCombo10.4.11PPC.dmg today, but can't run it. I've already tried to run the auto update through Utility Terminal, and while it said it was updating I'm still not getting anything to open. I tried deleted the Safari phist and and History files from Library Preferences, but that didn't help.

Your hard drive directory needs to be repaired. The reason that your disk utility won't allow you to repair - is like trying to repair a car while you are driving the car. You'll get lights or noises telling you that you need service, but the car can't be fixed while driving.
Same for your Mac. You can't repair the file system while the system is running. SO - find your original restore disk #1, insert that in your CD drive, and restart holding the letter C. You will boot to that disk, so click through the first screen (choose a language), and then click on the Utilities menu, and choose Disk Utility. This will be the same as you have tried before, but the Repair Disk button will work this time.
If you get a similar error again, try the same test again. If you don't get a repair to pass, then you may need stronger repair software, such as Disk Warrior.

When you are able to repair the drive directory, then you should be able to reboot to the system, and try that 10.4.11 combined update, which should install this time.

or alternatively, boot into SingleUser mode and follow the prompt to run chkdsk on the boot drive.
"Power up while pressing the Cmd+S keys."

find your original restore disk #1, insert that in your CD drive, and restart holding the letter C. You will boot to that disk, so click through the first screen (choose a language), and then click on the Utilities menu, and choose Disk Utility. This will be the same as you have tried before, but the Repair Disk button will work this time.
Hi, thanks. I just ran this Disk Utility via the start up disk and ran Repair Permissions and Repair Disk, both of which found some errors and repaired them.

However, the Installer is still failing - when I click on the OS X combo update I get the message that it shut down suddenly. Check for Updates, Safari, Mail and iTunes are still not working. What should I do next?

If I just do a complete reinstall of OS 10.4.11 Tiger from the start up disk will I lose all my previous files, e-mails, bookmarks, iPhoto photos, etc? If not, shouldn't I just reinstall Tiger?

If the directory is really repaired and not still giving errors, its time for an archive and install. After that run the updates back to 10.4.11. When you do the archive and install and preserve the settings it leaves everything in tact. But if you are really concerned with your data you should probably make a disk image of the volume as it is so you have a complete backup in case the drive turns out to be bad and crashes during the archive and install

Thanks everyone. I ran Install and Archive of the original OS X disk. After the installation, I clicked on Software Update and it worked, and installed the OS X 4.11 combo update. Now my mail, Safari, etc is running perfectly, and I didn't lose any files.

Glad to hear! Your old system is contained in the previous systems folder on the root of the HD. After you are confident its running fine you can delete the previous system folder to free up HD space because the previous system folder can take up several GBs of free space.

Back