HELP PLEASE - MP3 download automatically transforms into a file titled "spacer.gif"

DJ Rhino

Registered
Ok I dont know if anyone can help but here's my situation -

There's a website I've downloaded tons of MP3's before in the past and everything went fine, then all of the sudden I tried to download an MP3 from the site by clicking "control" and then "download linked file" like the website directs me to do and the file appears to start downloading in my download manager and BAM, the file is suddenly transformed into the file titled "spacer.gif" and I try opening it and there is nothing left of the mp3 except the name of the source in the file info...
The MP3 I try to download takes up all of the characteristics of a gif file.

What is going on?!?!?! Does someone know of this issue? Ive tried google, youtube and another forum and no help...
Maybe one of you can give me knowlegable advice.

I've tried downloading from other sites via the same method and they work fine, I've tried downloading PDF's and ZIP's from this particular site and they work fine, ONLY MP3's are changed.

Did you just rename the file .mp3 at the end of it (after the .) and see if it will open? Plus can you link to the web site?

Did you just rename the file .mp3 at the end of it (after the .) and see if it will open? Plus can you link to the web site?

I've tried that and after it appears as if I've renamed it to "random name.mp3" I check the folder I saved it to and it says "random name.mp3.gif".

Here's a link to one of the pages I've tried. - http://www.producerloops.com/Download-Producer-Loops-Future-Progressive-House-Vol-1.html
Go to about mid-page and you'll see "download demo mp3", I have a feeling after you click and download it, it'll work for you so I feel like its a problem with my computer download settings or something like that.

Thanks for your reply!
I've tried that and after I check to see the folder that I've saved the file to, its name appears as "name.mp3.gif", still taking on the characteristics of a gif file. And here's one example page - http://www.producerloops.com/Download-Producer-Loops-Supalife-Glitch-Breaks.html

If you look about mid-page you'll see "Download MP3 Demo" with the file link below it, and thats where I click "control" then "download linked file". If I click on the link/hyperlink, it takes me to a new page where normally I would be able to hear the mp3 play but now the play button appears, as you'd see if you click on the hyperlink mid-page, and I can click on the link all day but the audio won't play. So I feel like maybe its a problem with my browser or download settings but I have no idea how to fix it, and again it works fine with the PDF's and ZIP's you can download on the same page, its only the MP3's from that site that don't work.

The only demo that I see in the middle of that page is the one titled "Future Progressive House Vol 1 Demo.mp3"
I can get it to download, using the download manager that I often use, called SpeedTao. After I downloaded the MP3, it would play music
If I simply clicked on the original link, I get just what looks like a player icon, which won't play. So, I suspect the file is not linked properly, which is a problem with the site. You can't fix that, but you could complain to the site that their links don't work properly.
BTW, when I right click on that link, and choose the default "download linked file" from the menu, I get a very quick download of a file, named (wait for it!) "spacer.gif" That file would be exactly what the name implies - a part of the web page, and not the MP3 link that you want.
It's an error in the web page - nothing that you can do on your end (unless the site belongs to YOU)
Speedtao gets the correct file, so I expect that something like speeddownload would also get the right MP3.

This doesn't directly help you, but does explain that your computer is fine, it's just a poorly coded web site.

If it's a free site for you to use, then you get what you pay for :D
If you pay for what you get there, then you should complain to that site...

Last edited:
The only demo that I see in the middle of that page is the one titled "Future Progressive House Vol 1 Demo.mp3"
I can get it to download, using the download manager that I often use, called SpeedTao. After I downloaded the MP3, it would play music
If I simply clicked on the original link, I get just what looks like a player icon, which won't play. So, I suspect the file is not linked properly, which is a problem with the site. You can't fix that, but you could complain to the site that their links don't work properly.
BTW, when I right click on that link, and choose the default "download linked file" from the menu, I get a very quick download of a file, named (wait for it!) "spacer.gif" That file would be exactly what the name implies - a part of the web page, and not the MP3 link that you want.
It's an error in the web page - nothing that you can do on your end (unless the site belongs to YOU)
Speedtao gets the correct file, so I expect that something like speeddownload would also get the right MP3.

This doesn't directly help you, but does explain that your computer is fine, it's just a poorly coded web site.

If it's a free site for you to use, then you get what you pay for :D
If you pay for what you get there, then you should complain to that site...
Wow! Thank you very much! I figured the problem was something of that nature but did not know what the exact problem was and how to express it to the sites tech-help people. The thing that bothered me was downloading by the method I had used for a year at least suddenly stopped working and I had no idea what the heck happened. So again, thank you very much!

Back