Herve's Bar & Grill

I don't like beer. I might drink a Guinness from time to time, but I don't consider it beer, since I like _that_. ;) I just saw that Arden was here and called me a post-count-hunter! Ha! ;) Oh well... The days gone by... I remember that at some point, I actually tried to answer every post of Arden in a helpful way. I think I managed to that for an hour before I finally gave up, because he already had advanced too quickly. :p

About the online chat thingie... It's very crowded, sometimes, too. When we know Steve Jobs gets on a stage somewhere and are accumulating every little bit of information we can get out of the closed doors. Usually, that's the case for WWDC, MWSF and AppleExpo Paris keynotes.

CaptainQuark said:
How DARE you mention that tasteless filth in a conversation devoted to real beers?
:D

Skullsplitter (8.5%) was one I tried out of curiosity at a Real Ale Festival here. I remember Titanic Stout too, complete with a fairly blunt warning in the brochure about the effects of drinking too much stout... ;)

I tend to find that in your average pub (i.e. with a less diverse range) I will go for any Hook Norton beer, Abbot Ale, Wadworth 6X, or sometimes London Pride. I often like Wychwood's bottled beers, too.

bbloke said:
:D

Skullsplitter (8.5%) was one I tried out of curiosity at a Real Ale Festival here.
Here in Sheffield, we have a pub called "The Frog & Parrot", which has its own micro-brewery attached.

Their strongest, "Roger and Out" is (I think) about 12.5% and if it still isn't, it was, at least, in the Guinness Book of Records some years back as the world's strongest commercially available beer!

Ahhhh yessssss, the name is familiar. I think I may have tried Roger and Out, I can't remember! Erm, not being able to remember sounds bad and is not quite the way I meant to express it... :D

I've tried a few Belgian beers that certainly were on a par with that, but I can't remember their exact percentages.

Any whisky fans here too?

Sorry about that chief.
One of the only good American brews I know is Sam Adams. Shameful

After three months in Scotland...it was Tartan Special, Newcastle Brown Ale, and any local Pub ale...... all the way. Even MacEwens (spelling?) and Mr Youngers was refreshing. I'm talking 35+ years ago. When you are hitching a ride to the next town and you find yourself talking to the sheep under the rain and wondering when somebody will pick you up (no luck getting a ride with English tourists in Minis...too small and filled with bagage) that pint tastes REALLY good when you make it to the local pub. In fact, that is the reason you are heading to the next town. Screw the Youth Hostel....straight to the Pub. The chipper after.
Ahhh, those were great times! And cheap too.

While I'm not really into whiskeys, I do quite like a really good gin, something nice and flavorful that can be sipped and savored neat, over ice.
Van Gogh: http://www.internetwines.com/rws17580.html
is my current favorite. It's absolutely heavenly, but not for too frequent imbibing since it's rather pricey at over $30 a bottle.

Next in line would be Citadelle: http://www.citadellegin.com/en/histoire.php

For my gin and tonics, a good London Dry will do, I currently fancy Bombay Sapphire: http://www.bombaysapphire.com/Default.aspx

bbloke said:
Ahhhh yessssss, the name is familiar. I think I may have tried Roger and Out, I can't remember! Erm, not being able to remember sounds bad and is not quite the way I meant to express it... :D
Not to worry – it's a frequent side-effect of drinking Roger and Out!::ha::

bbloke
Thanks for the brewery sites. Good stuff. I've had a few that you mentioned. I sent the sites onto someone who will appreciate it.
Reminds me of a story (I'll make it short). A friend of mine, Clive (an Englishman born in New York) and his friend were bicycling around the UK in the 70's. There objective was to have a pint or two in "real" local pubs, the countryside and camping. In that order. Well, seeing how Clive is an expert in English brew he knew where to go. However, their budget was rather limited (food, camping and pubs costs a bit). At such a point there was a meeting of minds where Clive says "we have to watch our budget." His friend says, "guess we'll have to cut down on the food!"
The magic is still there I hope.
Cheers.

Got 2 free Petrus glasses as thanks for helping my local Wine/Beer shop pick out some Belgian Ales from their distributor. They are selling like crazy!
Among the top selling beers at the shop,
Augustin, Bornem (blonde and dark), Golden Draak, Petrus and Westmalle just to name a few. I wish they would hire me for a few hours a week. :)

Interesting article, but then again, I feel the same way about the US version of Bud. In my case, I have a very discerning taste for beer. Budweiser (USA) misses a whole bunch of stuff. Nope, there's nothing subtle about it. All hops and carbonation. Malt? Can barely taste any. I'd rather have a Red Stripe. Now that's not bad.

davebz said:
Interesting article, but then again, I feel the same way about the US version of Bud. In my case, I have a very discerning taste for beer. Budweiser (USA) misses a whole bunch of stuff. Nope, there's nothing subtle about it. All hops and carbonation. Malt? Can barely taste any. I'd rather have a Red Stripe. Now that's not bad.

davedz

In case you didn't see this check it out:

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060529/howl

I'm with you for the Red Stripe. Cheers

Isn't it interesting that Jamaica has not the greatest but perfectly respectable beer and they also have the world's best coffee?

"Have you had your Blue Mountain roast today?"

CaptainQuark said:
Like Leffe! The champagne of beers

Ah, Leffe! I remember the first time I had one was when I was in Brussels for the first time. Didn't know it had so much alcohol back then :)

Actually, this may sound kinda stupid, coming from someone used to the Portuguese red wines with 14% of alcohol… I guess it's because I had the Leffe just before dinner ;) That'll teach me! :D

BTW, I invite you all to have some Portuguese red wine instead of the usual beer! Try something from the Alentejo, like a Esporão Trincadeira (any year will do).

Cheers! :D

davebz said:
… Jamaica …and they also have the world's best coffee?
I guess it's a matter of opinion, but surely everybody knows that the Italians make the best coffee machines, whereas the Spanish make the best coffee!

Unless you're talking about the beans themselves, in which case Colombia tops the list.

CaptainQuark said:
I guess it's a matter of opinion, but surely everybody knows that the Italians make the best coffee machines, whereas the Spanish make the best coffee!

Unless you're talking about the beans themselves, in which case Colombia tops the list.

Hmmmmnnn, San Agustin, blessed substance! The swiss coffee is passable even if they do seem to lack real milk. We have a new Saeco automated machine in my office though, which is really pushing up my espresso intake. I would tentatively agree on the Spanish, the coffee there is real good.

Back