HIGHLY CONTROVERSIAL: Things that I miss from Windows

Originally posted by buc99
Check out the image for all of you missing the "Windows Explorer". This is what I was talking about in the earlier post. Look familiar?

SA:p

yes, now wouldn't it be cool if apple gave you the option to click on a button and something like this pops up! (attatched as one of course)

That is too funny nkuvu:

Did anyone say that they like the taskbar more in this thread? If so, I missed it. I don't like the taskbar, love the dock.

That is what started the whole thread. Check out the very first post.

That makes this all worthwhile by itself. Rock on!!

OSX rules. Amen!!

SA:p

You're a tough crowd.

Another thing I miss from Windows is fast window resizing and the ability to turn live resizing on and off, but I hope that will be fixed in 10.2 as speculated (at least the speed).

Another thing I miss is <Alt>-<Tab> to switch applications--insofar as a single itteration switches to the previous app and a held down <Alt> then <Tab> brings up the switcheroo window (what IS it actually called?) with all running apps in it.

Oh, and another thing (compared to XP which is hateful otherwise) is to be able to switch user spaces without killing apps that are running for that user--not logging out to switch users, just switching users. That's definately cool and would be great in OS X.

Is that on topic enough?

(And I was just asking about where vic lives because of the "Canada, EH!" and I live in Canada, too. Like I said, tough crowd.)

Kent!

edit: spelling

Originally posted by chenly
% man woman
man: no entry for woman in the manual.
man guy_who_will_be_alone_for_many_years_to_come
man: no entry for guy_who_will_be_alone_for_many_years_to_come in the manual.

hey ksignorini, i was making a joke... it's just the way you phrased your sentence that i found funny and thought i could play with it a little, no harm meant, i'm from toronto, and welcome to nother candian member! ther are so many candians here it's not even funny.

Originally posted by ksignorini
You're a tough crowd.

Another thing I miss from Windows is fast window resizing and the ability to turn live resizing on and off, but I hope that will be fixed in 10.2 as speculated (at least the speed).

Another thing I miss is <Alt>-<Tab> to switch applications--insofar as a single itteration switches to the previous app and a held down <Alt> then <Tab> brings up the switcheroo window (what IS it actually called?) with all running apps in it.

Oh, and another thing (compared to XP which is hateful otherwise) is to be able to switch user spaces without killing apps that are running for that user--not logging out to switch users, just switching users. That's definately cool and would be great in OS X.

Is that on topic enough?

(And I was just asking about where vic lives because of the "Canada, EH!" and I live in Canada, too. Like I said, tough crowd.)

Kent!

edit: spelling

yes, fast window resizing is something we all miss and we have complained about since os x came out.

you can use - comand & tab - to switch between apps.

the loggin in and out of users and not quitting apps, is cool, but i wonder how slow/memory hogging it wouold be and since i am the only person using my computer i find it useless. bu that's me.

Help Desk?

uh, yeah it it getting really hot in here. Can you turn up the air conditioning?

Great... Thanks!

Originally posted by TommyWillB
Help Desk?

uh, yeah it it getting really hot in here. Can you turn up the air conditioning?

Great... Thanks!

THIS IS HILARIOUS!

Guess what I do for a living? I design web based (and non-web-based) software to control mechanical systems in buildings--primarily Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning systems. (among other things)

The above IS a typical help desk call for me! And I can accomplish the solution!

Kent!

oh, and i know Command-Tab works to move between apps and using Shift goes in the other direction but in Windows I can Alt-Tab once then Alt-Tab again and arrive at my original app, even when 10 are open.

Kent!

oh, and i know Command-Tab works to move between apps and using Shift goes in the other direction but in Windows I can Alt-Tab once then Alt-Tab again and arrive at my original app, even when 10 are open.

Kent!
hhhmmm... never really found a use for this myself, although i did like the everpresent little app switcher thing in os 9 that you could tear off and the i used that to swithc back and forth if i had to do this many times....

vic,

You can't tear it off (I don't think) but ASM duplicates the menubar Application Switcher Menu thing from OS 9. But I don't think you can tear it off.

Kent!

vic,

You can't tear it off (I don't think) but ASM duplicates the menubar Application Switcher Menu thing from OS 9. But I don't think you can tear it off.

Kent!

i know. thanks though.

Huh? When you use the command-tab, keep holding down the command and press shift. You'll change direction...

I know about shift-command-tab (after the first command-tab) but that one extra keystroke and it comes AFTER you do the initial command-tab. It's just not as efficient as a single alt-tab to switch back and forth between two apps.

Kent!

I know about shift-command-tab (after the first command-tab) but that one extra keystroke and it comes AFTER you do the initial command-tab. It's just not as efficient as a single alt-tab to switch back and forth between two apps.

Kent!

It seems that you no longer need to press Command-Shift-Tab to switch to the previous app. On my computer at least, Command-Tab switches to the next application, and Command-Shift (no tab) switches to the previous.

Mine Too.

It seems that you have to initiate it with the command-tab, but once you are scrolling in the dock comman-shift will scroll backwards through the open apps. At least that is how my system works. I'm running 10.1.3. I can't start scrolling through the dock with just command-shift, it must be initiated first with command-tab.

Thanks.:)
SA

Guess what I do for a living? ...primarily Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning systems....
I thought you were going to say you worked on a Help Desk. :)

Back