how do i boot from my external HD? it uses USB not firewire cords

ducaticanine

Registered
when i restart and hold down 'T'...a firewire symbol shows on the screen.. my external HD only uses this USB cord/connection

i'm using a new MacBook Pro...

If you use an Intel Mac model then plug the USB2 self powered external, go to System Preferences->Startup Disk and choose the external to boot into upon restart. Once you want to go back to the internal drive in OS X do the same steps to select the internal disk to boot.

Apple must not talk to each other about using the traditional Firewire disk mode. So just request the same feature (here at Apple Feedback) to boot from USB. Especially since they released a MacBook without firewire. If enough Mac users request the same feature Apple has been known to implement the general suggestion.

This will be a crucial time for all Mac user to request USB2 boot like the old Firewire Disk Mode. Will you just complain or try to help your fellow Mac users in getting Apple to act.

Have you installed Mac OS X on the external hard drive? The external hard drive must have some compatible operating system installed on it before it will show up in the list of bootable devices.

Back