How fast is a mac compared to a pc?

Well, you could use some of those circus pogo-style shoes those acrobat dudes wear, then just jump while holding the computers, get a good bounce goin, then drop the CPUs at the apex of one of your jumps -- of course, that would mean that you were only as fast as the computers -- so would you be 1.25GHz or 3.2GHz?

the apple of course

You know, I lied about the test... The Powermac hit the ground, but the PC stopped on the way to do Windows...

Did anybody compare a 1 GHz Mac and a 1 GHz PC, both running Linux (same kernel, of course) ?

Do you mean a PC with a PIII, a PIV, a PIV-HT, a Celeron, a P-Mobile, an AMD ? and a G3, G4 or G5, or two of these ?

I had always thought that a Mac and a PC both running Linux would give a more accurate account of benchmarking than comparing an OS X Mac to a Windows PC. However, thinking a little more about that has caused me to believe otherwise.

Consider the fact that the optimizations between the code for PPC support might be at a different level than that of the x86 support within the kernel. It is possible that with every new kernel release, the benchmarks might reveal different results. I guess it would still be possible to do, but the tests would have to be done with various kernel revisions to come out with an overall winner. And even then, that might change with future kernel revisions. And that's not even counting code for the rest of the hardware!

So sure, comparing Linux/x86 and Linux/ppc might bring us closer, but still not to an exact determination of which is the fastest machine.

Convert said:
Ahh I am just curious my friend....

I have a 3.2 Ghz PC....I was wondering....I am impressed with the dual 2.5 processor of the Powermac...and if 5Ghz was ont he same scale as my PC...then WOW!

If you want bench marks on Apple products then go over to BareFeets.

Back