How fast is my new ibook compared to a PC?

Phluxy

Registered
1.33ghz G4
512mb Ram
That is all you need to determine performance. What would be the PC equavalent.

really couldn't say. try running it against a pentium m laptop running about 1.5ghz. do things like load webpages, open photoshop, open the same large image in photoshop, and then time how long each one will apply a zoomed radial blur in high quality.

run halo on both, max out the options and see which one is slower etc.

to see a big increase in speed on your ibook, add in 512mb of memory. chould be about £30. it's be lovely then.

Yep -- it's difficult to say things like "1.33GHz 512MB RAM G4 == 1.66GHz 1GB RAM x86." It just doesn't work that way. Your computer will be faster at certain things, while a PC may be faster at other things. It's all dependent on which machine you are more productive with -- after all, raw speed doesn't make you any better or faster. Some people can be more productive on a 500MHz G4 machine than they can on a 2GHz x86 machine, simply because they feel more comfortable with the OS and can actually "produce" more by the end of the day on the slower machine.

Again, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, and it's near impossible to say what kind of PC your iBook is equivalent to. Most likely Major Burns got it right when he said start off comparing it to a 1.5GHz laptop computer... that seems about comparable.

The closest thing you can possibly do is run a distro of Linux that has both x86 and PPC versions, recompile the kernel to contain as much of the same configs and modules and optimizations as one another, and then benchmark. You would also have to make sure that the CPU/chipset configuration on the PC side is something comparable to what the iBook would have (single-core, low power, etc.)

In my mind, that's the best thing you can do to test if you're g33ky enough. :D

Probably a pentium m 1.2-4 ghz with 512mb of ram would be comparable. However because of the OS and CPU architecture the PC will be faster at some things and the mac will be at others. Minor things though.

As ElDiabloConCaca mentioned, raw speed is not always better. I used a loaner ThinkPad for a month once. My experience was the interface was quicker on the PC, while processing files was inconsistent. For example, I enhance music files (Dead Shows). The PCs performance on each file (song) was unpredictable. The PC would start quickly or slow, would either continue quickly or slow until it was done.
My PB, although the interface may be a bit slower than a PC, its ability to process files is consistent through out. When I am enhancing a music file, not only does it allow me to have a sense of prediction (time), it efficiently completes the task. Each file (song) I deal with takes the same amount of time to complete as the last one did.

SuperTyphoon said:
Probably a pentium m 1.2-4 ghz with 512mb of ram would be comparable. However because of the OS and CPU architecture the PC will be faster at some things and the mac will be at others. Minor things though.

Well, this is why I was recommending something like Linux since the operating systems are the same, the only difference being that they would have to be for each platform. Yes, a bit technical since to get there as close as possible you would have to recompile the kernel for both platforms and match them as closely as possible. However, this I believe would be the most level playing field you can have. You can also probably do it with FreeBSD or another FOSS operating system, but the same work would apply (and with probably a steeper learning curve).

And of course, we would be doing all of this in a CLI environment since X Windows would just complicate things. ;)

Drop them both out of an open window and time their fall. For fairness, remove CDs or DVDs from both notebooks' drives.

fryke said:
Drop them both out of an open window and time their fall. For fairness, remove CDs or DVDs from both notebooks' drives.

SSHHH!!!!! That's the advanced, secret benchmark!!! :p

nixgeek said:
SSHHH!!!!! That's the advanced, secret benchmark!!! :p

Aww man, next someone will let slip with the "driving nails into blocks of wood" benchmark test. (By that test, the PowerMac G5 is the fastest personal computer ever.)

Why don't ypu use Google and find a page like Bare Feats to answer all of your GEEK benchmarks concerning Macs. You mind find a loose microsecond around.

Back