How many HDs will fit in my G4 1.42ghz?

npj

Registered
Hi all,

I've been thinking of putting a third HD in my G4 1.42 (desktop/mirrored...) but have had the thought that maybe it can only fit two?
I installed the second drive myself a while ago and I think I remember seeing space for another two drives. Is that correct - it can hold 4 HD's?

Thanks in advance,

npj

actually, 5 is possible without adding extra drive controllers. 2 on the rear bus, 2 on the front bus, and a fifth hard drive added underneath the optical drive.

yeah, last I checked, it's 4 hard drives. 2 in the rear bay and 2 in front.

I've thought of the same thing, putting in another drive in there, it shouldn't be any problem, but I think one thing you should consider is how much hotter will your mac get with an extra internal drive... ? some say not enough to notice.

interestingly enough, I think there's a dashboard widget that checks the temperature of your mac.

hope this helps, this is the first time I've been an active participate in ANY forum.

herman.

Thanks for the info all. I probably will get another HD.

I actually have that widget! My temperature (cpu apparently) hovers around 58-59 degress (c). Anyone know what a healthy temperature is? The room it's in gets pretty hot sometimes and I'm often curious how bad it is for the comp.

Back