How much faster can 10.3 be??

Speed?! I Find Jaguar Runs very nice on my Computer ... its FAR From top spec ... but i am quite happy with it ... Windows Seems Snappier ... of course, but when u look @ windows, it looks so "old fashioned" Cheap and tacky ... and by that, you assume that it takes no where near as much power to give the snappyness!... However i think Longhorn will bring something simular to use, on X ... Eye Candy, and a such ... at a cost of speed! ... hopefully, by which time ... we'll be speeding along! :p

...I've never really used OS 9, so i can't really compare speed between both Apple OS's ... but from what i did use of it, i remember it being simular to Windows ... Fast but UGLY ;)

i don't think OS 9.x is faster than OS X at all! without multi tasking, you have to wait for each program to get done with its tasks before you can go on to other work. i run OS X.2.x on my old Powerbook Pismo G3 500Mhz and i'd rather work in X than 9 ANY DAY!

however, i did purchase a hot rod PC, but i ONLY use it for gaming - mainly because my Pismo can't play my favorite game series, Unreal Tournament. also, i got tired of waiting for Mac games to come out long after the Winblows versions. but i'd rather have my teeth pulled than to use an Adobe product, or ANY product for that matter, on my Winblows machine! i can get work done faster on my old Pismo by a faction of 2 or 3 fold than i could on my Winblows! :cool:

i'm curious as to what kind of study you do that you cannot use the Mac OS for? not that i can't imagine, but i'm just curious.

the programming languages they use, are only available for Windows. And like you said, gaming is much - _MUCH_ - faster on a Windows PC than on a Mac...

Which languages are they using? I noticed a thread with someone else who does comp sci who uses osx, so do I.

My predictions:

10.3 will be teetering on the edge of noticeably faster. On my machines, that's what Jaguar was for me. I got almost nothing from Quartz Extreme. For me it was Quartz Extremely disappointed.

Fortunately, GUI is my only OS X complaint. As they refine the OS and deliver modern boxes, my last complaint will be gone. I am optimistic that by year's end, with 10.3 and a 970-based machine, OS X will be very close to OS 9 in terms of GUI speed experience.

On some level there is a built in incentive to not get too fast with the OS, since there always needs to be a reason to buy a new machine. I believe we are just now starting to see the beginning of the dropoff zone, where 90% of users (typical office users that need mail, word processing, spreadsheets, etc.) simply don't need or even want a faster machine on either platform or OS. I am not one of those people, and I assume most people on this board are not either.

Is this just a stupid idea but what about loading all the menus (which are the most noticeable in speed differene if you ask me) in the RAM or Cache? Is this such a stupid or impossible idea? The CPU shouldn't have to work for a menu or the dock to pop up ... Just load it completely in the memory! Wishful thinking or just impossible? If anyone knows anything more about this, I'm interested in it anyway ;)

Originally posted by anerki
Is this just a stupid idea but what about loading all the menus (which are the most noticeable in speed differene if you ask me) in the RAM or Cache? Is this such a stupid or impossible idea? The CPU shouldn't have to work for a menu or the dock to pop up ... Just load it completely in the memory! Wishful thinking or just impossible? If anyone knows anything more about this, I'm interested in it anyway ;)

Impossible because the menus have effects like transparency and drop shadow which affects pixels also outside of and behind the menu. Would be possible in OS 9, but then again it's so fast it doesn't need it :p

So if I turn off transparency with some kind of GUI mod, it would be possible? I don't care 'that' much for transparency in my menus, if they could be fast like OS9 or Windows, I'd trade any time ... Would it be possible then, if so, how? Some kind of subroutine or hack? Where are the Linux people who know all this? :p;):D

Originally posted by anerki
So if I turn off transparency with some kind of GUI mod, it would be possible? I don't care 'that' much for transparency in my menus, if they could be fast like OS9 or Windows, I'd trade any time ... Would it be possible then, if so, how? Some kind of subroutine or hack? Where are the Linux people who know all this? :p;):D

It would require major modifications in the way menus are handled - and that is not exactly open source. Give that project up ;)

I'm not sure about most of you guys here, but I have a G4 466 with GeForce Ti and my menu's are very quick. My windows machine at work is slow with menus when compared to my Mac. This is when Windows has effects turned on and still my Mac is faster. I'm sure if Mac OS X had an option to turn off effects like as in Windows, it would still be faster than Windows with effects turned off. Also, I wouldn't complain very much because when was the last time you used KDE or GNOME with some linux (Red Hat, SuSE or Mandrake). I test this every day and it's so slow (AMD hardware/software tester).

Now I just think if my G4 was a dual 1.42 and with my GeForce Ti, HOLY CRAP that would be fast. Bottom line, my OS X is pretty darn fast as it is in the GUI.

I dont see why Panther will be faster. It seems so... the same as OS X we have now according to what Im reading...

Well it's fast ... but fast ain't good enough. I'm sure most of the people can work faster than the menu can follow :-( It's not instantaneous :-(

I just upgraded my PB pismo to 768mb ram and a 40gig hard drive, damn, it is blisteringly fast now, it feels like OS 9, can't believe the speed increase, photoshop opens in a flash, everything is nippy,. Feels like a whole new OS, can't imagine what it must be liketo have a G4.

No leaked builds as of yet. So: No reports about its speed as of yet. And even if there were any: Apple starts with more debug code and removes it gradually with development. You don't know - if you get a build - how much debug code is in it. I'd wait - at least - for reports on leaked builds before making comments about its actual speed. I'm pretty sure that performance will still be one of the top tasks for improvement.

Originally posted by MaC hAcKeR
I dont see why Panther will be faster. It seems so... the same as OS X we have now according to what Im reading...

Originally posted by mindbend
I believe we are just now starting to see the beginning of the dropoff zone, where 90% of users (typical office users that need mail, word processing, spreadsheets, etc.) simply don't need or even want a faster machine on either platform or OS. I am not one of those people, and I assume most people on this board are not either.

NEVER make this claim. New techniques, applications and computing needs are always just around the corner. It's always attractive to make this claim, but I remember people who were saying this more than ten years ago. And just try to get your work done on a ten year old computer. I'm thoroughly convinced that it will NEVER be enough.

They are still people using Mac Plus or Mac II for their every day work, or P100 for the dark side, with an old word processor and a PS laser printer.

If you don't surf the Internet, or do graphics, or games, these old machines are not bad 90% of the time. Of course they are other activities that require fst machines (data base, math, modelisation,...) but that's only a very small fraction of the use of CPU power.

Hey! Nothing bad about a PS Laserprinter! I have an Apple Laserwriter PS 16/600 and it works like a charm. Aint nothing better for text, and fast!

Back