How much space for updates?

bowjest

Registered
I just installed three advertised updates for my MBP:

Mac OSX Update 10.6.7
Safari update 5.0.4
HP Printer update 2.6

All in all, about 500MB of data.

However, after installing and rebooting I've logged in to find I'm now down by almost 2GB of disk space.

Does this sound right?

How much disk space did you have before the updates?

Realize that the size of the update does NOT reflect the actual amount of hard drive space that may be taken up once the update has been installed. This is because the data in the update files is compressed, and when installation of the update takes place, this data may be uncompressed for installation. Also, not every file in the updater may be installed -- this is very true for system (i.e., 10.6.7) updates where the updater bundle may contain files that are specific to various models of Macintosh, only some of which are pertinent to your particular model.

Thanks, Diablo.

It's not that I'm in danger of running out of disk space, it's just that I can't remember three such small-ish updates managing to suck up that much disk space after being unpacked and installed. I was thinking I'd lose maybe a gig or a bit more, but 2 (and possibly a bit) doesn't seem like a good thing. I mean, if this happens routinely when updates are applied, my disk space will soon be wiped out! :)

Download the donationware application Yasu and run all the routines (to delete your Internet cache) and let the program reboot your Mac. Then upon the reboot immediately reboot again to rebuild the shutdown/startup cache. Then see if it frees some space.

Then consider getting an external (to clone to) and clone back up and then replace your internal with a larger hard drive. Try to get a 7200rpm drive for faster speed.

Also consider getting router with a USB port that can support a hard drive. Then put a hard drive on it and move your iTunes Library to free up a large chunk of your hard drive space.

Back