How To Disable "disk Not Ejected Properly"?

zantaff

Registered
Ok, before you get all high and mighty on why this is implemented and why I should just click the eject button, hear me out.

I have a few devices that connect to my mac via USB. Some like to eject and reconnect themselves at random times, so I wind up getting a massive amounts of these 'Not Ejected' messages piling up simply by having the device plugged in. This doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it gets very frustrating needing to continuously close the popups.

This is NOT a thread about hardware issues, or a thread asking how fix the device. The problem has been thoroughly researched on a hardware end, so don't post 'answers' to that.
The thread is asking how to stop or suppress the popup that occurs when a device disconnects, regardless of reason, but in particular pertaining to my situation.

It sounds like you are not unplugging the USB after it is ejected. Please do so. Your mac is warning you that you are risking corruption of the USB drive, or your Mac, if you do not do it.

It sounds like you are not unplugging the USB after it is ejected. Please do so. Your mac is warning you that you are risking corruption of the USB drive, or your Mac, if you do not do it.
Exactly what I asked not to say. Looks like you didn't read it at all.

SGilbert may have the better idea...
Your question has a more complex answer than you might think.

You came here to ask a question, and anyone with a few shreds of troubleshooting experience will quickly come out with a few relevant questions about your gear and your previous attempts at repairs.
You offer nothing except some fuzzy reference to "research", with zero details. No one here knows (until you tell us) what that "research" included. (and what you missed :D )
Is it possible that your research missed some basic issue that you haven't considered yet? (power issues can result in problems with external devices and hubs, for example)
And, that's why you might get questions instead of quick easy answers (I don't think those exist for your issue :D )

And, you also get to expect comments, like:
Blocking system messages, instead of fixing the cause, may leave your system unprotected in other ways.
Blocking possible responses with "don't post anything about hardware", is not only disingenuous, but likely will prevent some actual answers that you haven't thought about yet.

SGilbert may have the better idea...
Your question has a more complex answer than you might think.

No, it's' not. I explicitly stated what I was looking for. It is clear people of the internet are incapable of understanding.

Zantaff said:
The thread is asking how to stop or suppress the popup that occurs when a device disconnects, regardless of reason

Oh, I do understand. I get it...
You would like to find a solution, but you came here to try a work-around.
Hacking your OS X system (and I don't know if there is a hack - probably not), in an attempt to hide the problem, doesn't fix anything.

Starting here with an attitude doesn't help, as it makes folks who like to help, less likely to do so.

I can offer help, just in case you have missed something about your hardware ...

Just as the others, I totally get what you are asking. And I agree with DeltaMac. There is no known legal script that will disable those warnings.

Some like to eject and reconnect themselves at random times,

Flash drives do this when they are failing. But since you don’t want to talk hardware, anything said will put you on the defensive.

DId you ever get this figured out. I completely understand and all the folks who still want to tell me about the hardware are frustrating. This is happening for me no matter what external flash drive I use. I have a brand new one. I KNOW it's working properly...so yes...I don't care to get spammed with these warnings.....let's just assume I don't care if the hard drive fails. I just want to disable the notification.

You apparently have not read the other posts in this, relatively short, thread.
But, in a couple of short phrases...
Don't know if that kind of hardware notification can be disabled.
Even if it could be disabled, how do you then know that other, similar repots will then also be blocked, with possible consequences to your system?

It would be (very) helpful to know which Mac you have, and what version of the Mac OS you are presently using.

All that being said, one way to (mostly) avoid those messages, would be to avoid leaving your flash drive plugged in, when you are done with the storage task on that drive, and you are not actually using it.
Another - USB flash drives can be slow, and I have had "brand new" USB flash drives give problems, right out of the package, very often I get advance warning when a flash drive is very slow to write files, or abnormally slow to mount, etc. I have mostly moved away from those thumb drives for most uses, and more frequently use external NVMe drives, where I pair up a decent enclosure (ORICO or UGreen are my current go-to brands, have about 15 between those two names, various configs) with a decent NVMe blade drive. Those external drives tend to be much more stable, and certainly much faster than most any thumb drive. --- just a suggestion.
There's other brands of course, those are just two that I trust to do the job for me.

To me I've been using a simple keyboard shortcut to eject things from my Mac!

1.First make sure your Mac Finder Settings and is the pop-up put a checkmate in Hard Disk as well as in all of them check marked!
2. On Mac system is based on BSD Unix and Unix is just like Macs you have eject' them by either dragging to Trash can that will change to eject icon! on my Macs I jot used to using left hand the key combination command button+e while highly the hard disk that needs to be ejected!

Last edited:
Back