How to make this site even better - suggestions please :)

Bonefill, what I suggested about the translating on Babelfish, and re-translating the same thing back is only to show how it changes. You understand both English and Spanish, so you'd see how it changes on 1 translation, then on the 2nd. Think then a user who is not fluent - if you translate a text to another language it looks bad, especially if the logic of the language is different. Thus, if I who don't speak any German or Japanese, think in Italian, Spanish or English and translate THAT to German or Japanese, it will be very difficult to understand. Some friends babelfished me emails trying to make me think they speak Italian. But as they didn't, it was painful to read. Everything is on the wrong way. but apparently word by word it can be correct - with a lot of expressions and words translated wrong. If you think and write in German and babelfish it in English, it will look very hervèish. The verbs are weird and in the wrong places, and so on.

allow the img tags in peoples sigs and have an option to turn it off if you dont wont to wait for them to load

We've actually been through that before, and most people are against it. Ask Habilis.

image tags are not going to happen. like arden said, this has been discussed and dismissed previously.

I think there should be additional search options, like to search for all posts over X posts long or all posts created by member Y.

search by member's posts is already an option arden. just how often do you bother to use search, huh? :rolleyes:

All the time, as a matter of fact. I actually misprinted there: I meant search for all threads created by a member, so for instance I could see how many threads I've created, or Androo, or you, or whatever. Sorry about that.

Did I mention this already?

What about an option to post to a thread without viewing it? This can be useful if you already read it but didn't post, or if you're the last poster and you want to add something new.

last suggestion is just plain an extravagance for laziness. just go to the thread and post reply. no need to go to last read post or anything.

as for viewing all somebody's posts - go to thier profile and click on the link to view all posts by this member.

the purpose of this thread was not to ask for more things for scott to have to code into the vb setup. it was to ask what we can do to stimulate more interest, to moderate better, to make coming here more enjoyable. it's not about the physical gizmos of the site, it's supposed to be about the intangibles that the members and moderators can contribute to the site.

and at this point, my suggestion is to limit arden to 10 posts a day. :D :p

Okay, thanks. I had made those suggestions before I went and read all about bulletin software, and when G said suggestions to make this site better, I thought it meant anything goes. I can't really think of anything along the lines of what Ed's saying.

BTW, vB 2.3.2 is out... you might consider upgrading. Plus, version 3 is at beta 7, so I'm sure you'll go full up when it becomes final. I like the "Similar Threads" feature of 3. :)

That's so simple... in French we name that "YAKA"... some bosses are know for that: when you have a problem they tell you: "just" find another solution !

Well, one thing I've been thinking about for awhile:
Could we migrate to Invision Powerboard? The speed of that thing is amazing. Just go visit Macfora to see what I mean. Also, it is just much cleaner :).
It wouldn't be a MAJOR deal, because there are porters available for Invision Powerboard that would transfer all the MySQL data over and everything.
I think personally the Macfora looks a lot better than this site, however I like all the people here :)

expand. Put a cool OSX Utilities/Hacks software section. Also maybe a case gallery and or Desktop Gallery to give us a place to show off out custom rigs. Im totally thinking like a total Mod archive with themes and desktop pics and cool stuff that all nerds like. More than just message boards would be sweet. Consider keeping a apple news section like slashdot or wired so we only have to go to one site when we want to check the news and our recent posts.

Back