How to make this site even better - suggestions please :)

Yeah, but not much more. ;)

Dlloyd, I think with vB 3 you'll be reconsidering the desire to change to IPB...

you also might notice that the gallery (link at the very top of page above logo) is working again. feel free to share desktops you create. just don't go posting stuff you happen to find on the internet. that has never been what our gallery is about. if you don't own it, don't share it.

News, Rumors and Discussion is pretty catch-all. Could it be broken down into something a little more user-friendly? Maybe make it Apple News, the rumors and discussion will follow.
Also, how about the mods having a roundtable discussion on certain issues from time to time. Pick posters (2 to 6) who seem to know their stuff and let them go at it over topics such as high-end iBooks vs low-end PBs, too early to move to Panther? G5 vs dual G4, etc? Then open it up for comments from everyone else. Include voting so people can have a voice in that way as well.
Also, have more DIY threads. Tap the knowledge base here like ipodlounge.com does for the iPod. Have people contribute articles or tips of the day on various function of the Mac world. Make it more pro-active and less reactive (discussing news, cafe talk, problem-fixing).

News, Rumors and Discussion was lumped together during the Great Switch, as I will now be calling it. I don't think they're going to go back to splitting it up again.

I do like your second suggestion, though.

Randman, I think that the whole discussion idea would be good - but thats up to those all might modders. Also, I think that with the new front page people can start publishing articles (maybe why I bought a 12" powerbook over a 12" iBook, how to set up x11 on panther, etc) to grow the community. If you haven't already surf over to macosx.com -- it's not just a /forums redirect anymore. The site it growing!

Yeah, there's a little more to this site now than just a forum. I posted a review of my Tungsten E up there, you might want to do something similar.

I think someone tried something like that roundtable discussion idea and it didn't last very long, as many discussions on this board do or do not.

I think I'm probably stating the obvious in saying that most people, including me, appreciate the new look and feel to the forum. A lot of work has obviously gone into it.

One slight quibble (please forgive me if this has been mentioned already and answered - I don't have time to trwal through all the previous posts): the type size of postings (and this reply) is rather large and cannot be reduced - certainly not on the Windows PC I'm obliged to use to view this site from work.

That might suit some people, and I'm aware that you can't please all the people.... But you did ask!

porteous said:
I think I'm probably stating the obvious in saying that most people, including me, appreciate the new look and feel to the forum. A lot of work has obviously gone into it.

One slight quibble (please forgive me if this has been mentioned already and answered - I don't have time to trwal through all the previous posts): the type size of postings (and this reply) is rather large and cannot be reduced - certainly not on the Windows PC I'm obliged to use to view this site from work.

That might suit some people, and I'm aware that you can't please all the people.... But you did ask!
The site was designed with Safari in mind, which, being a Mac browser, displays text smaller on average than Windows browsers. So I can see where you're coming from with that.

Isn't there a thing in the menu bar or controls or whatever to let you decrease the size of browser text?

I think that would be cool, though, to be able to choose between larger text and smaller text, if vB allows it.

Back