How to partition new external drive

tweaker301670

Registered
I just ordered a new OWC 500GB external HD (w/ FW800 and eSATA) as a backup, but now I'm wondering how I should partition it when it arrives, or whether I should have gotten the 750GB version.

I'm currently using an iMac G5 with a 160GB HD, almost filled (mostly with movies). I also have about 70GBs of additional movies on a portable drive and rewriteable DVDs. I'm going to upgrade to Leopard very soon, and I want to use both SuperDuper and Time Machine. I may switch computers at some point, but it would be to a MBP with a 120 or 160 GB HD, so the overall size of my system wouldn't change.

Currently I'm thinking about partitioning the 500GB like this:

220GB for movies (deleted once viewed, and I don't plan on "collecting" any more unless they're really something worthwhile)
10GB for a Windows partition in case I get an Intel Mac

Now this is where it gets tricky. I've read that your TM partition should be twice the size of your system for best results. But, I'm also assuming that SD needs the full size to make a full backup. That would mean 160 x 2 = 320 (for TM) plus 160 x 1 (for SD) = 160 for a total of 480.

But there's not enough room for all that—but my current system, *minus* all the movie files, is only about 10GB—so I could either set the SD partition to like 20GB and then have 250GB for TM, or make the SD 160GB but then only have 90GB for TM (or some middle ground between the two).

What would be the best ratio? Should I forget about the Windows partition for now, since Intel Macs seem to use a different partition system (GUID)? (Will I have to recreate the whole thing if I want to migrate it to an Intel Mac anyway?).

Also should I make all partitions Extended Journaling, even the one intended for Windows? The new HD hasn't arrived yet but it's due on Monday, and they make a 750GB model for $60 more. Any advice appreciated.

500 GB is the current 'bang for your buck price-point', meaning the amount you pay per GB bottoms out on 500 GB drives. For cost, you probably made the right choice. I recently got 2 500 GB USB drives, and then plugged four more SATA II 500 GB drives into my Slackware server for network storage.

If I were you, I honestly wouldn't bother partitioning it into different types: just make a single large GUID partition. Why do you want to make a Windows partition in case you get an Intel Mac; in case you want to install Windows?

However, I don't yet have an Intel Mac, so you should hold off until someone who does replies with real-world experience.

I have several OWC firewire 800 drives. To save space on your internal drive put the movie you save and iTunes on that disk. I didn't partition my drive that I use for that. I first made a folder and called it Downloads (for downloaded movies/music) and then moved my iTunes Library inside that folder and launched iTunes and told in Preferences where to find the library.. I then used Carbon Copy Cloner[ to make clones (on a regular basis) of my Mac. In making these clone backups (that I boot into) I told Carbon Cop Cloner not to over wright the existing data.

Then i told the second bought Firewire 800 drive and use that as a Time Machine drive. I know I am over the top but my data is precious to me and after a hard disk failure (years ago now) I will keep it this way.

One thing to remember I don't think Windows XP can boot from an anything else but the internal drive. However I maybe wrong.

P.S. - OWC drives come Mac OS Extended. However it is good practice to take ANY new drive and use Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility) to reformat that drive as soon as plug the new drive in. By the way just leave 15% of a disk free for OS X to run smoothly. Plus Boot Camp will partition a Intel Macs disk for FAT32 or NTFS as soon as you launch the program (if you have free enough room on that drive).

Last edited:
or four if you include a Windows partition.

I have many Hard Drives (12), many video files (1.25 TB) and photos (250 GB) and run a few different schemes for backing up stuff. Consider the following...

Partition the new HD for just the OS and forget the video files (for now). Create a small partition for Time Machine (which I don't use), a small partition for Super Duper (I use CarbonCopyCloner), and a small windows partition oif you feel the need to do so. This way if things fail you can boot off of the SuperDuper bootable image.

Then leave the remaining big partition for your movies and other media files. Clone everything to your Bootable Super Duper partition, Make your Time Machine copy and copy over all of your media files. Make sure everything works and is accounted for then boot from your cloned bootable partition.

Once you're running off of your secondary HD, reformat/partition your primary HD in a similar fashion (one small for the OS/twice as big as the OS needs) and leave the rest as one big partition.

The illogical twist I apply is that my media (photos/video/music) files are on my secondary Hard Drive and I back them up to my main drive. Providing you aren't filling your main internal HD doing this, the files will be backed up somewhere until you get another HD for more back up. And then your OS is backed up on the external HD.

May seem odd but it works with limited HD's. Most of my video's for Final Cut Pro so I need to keep my media on a second HD.

If you buy 2 drives, use the second for backup purposes. Also make as little partitions as possible as the always tend to be incorrectly setup. Just make maps for the different storage purposes.

You could make different partitions for the OS installations, make make them very spacy. This allows you to FORMAT a drive when doing the reinstallation.

For ofcourse you need a different partition for WINDOWS, but 10gb is very small, i should suggest about 50gb. Modern WinOS and some software will take a 10gb without finishing the installation completely (or leave very little space available).

Compare the PRICE per GIGABYTE and that will give you the best deal, and current price changes might even make 1 terrabyte drives being nicely priced.

Good luck, Kees

Back