How to Stop Firefox 4 to launch at startup on Mac OS X 10.6?? PLEASE HELP...

liuskusuma

Registered
Hi,

Firefox 4 always launch at my startup, how to stop this? I use current gen Macbook Pro 15".
I've search google and this forum but couldn't find a solution that work.
Anyway, here's what I've done so far:

1. I've checked that Firefox is not in my System Preference/Login/Login Items.

2. I've check that when I right click Firefox on my Dock, the option Open at Login is Un-Ticked.

3. I've checked the item on my MacintochHD/Library/StartupItem and
Firefox is not there.

4. I've also checked that there are no option in the Firefox preference that has an option to turn this on or off (or am I missing one???).

5. Tried to uninstall using AppZapper/AppCleaner, restart the comp and re-installing Firefox again, it still launch on startup. :(

What should I do to stop firefox from launching on startup?? Please help :(

Last edited:
I hope you went to System Preferences->Accounts, Your Account and check at the bottom of the page that the padlock is unlocked. If it isn't unlocked then click on, provide your Administrator password and wait for it to be unlocked. Then in the Accounts click on the 'Login Items' tab and make sure Firefox is not there.

I hope you went to System Preferences->Accounts, Your Account and check at the bottom of the page that the padlock is unlocked. If it isn't unlocked then click on, provide your Administrator password and wait for it to be unlocked. Then in the Accounts click on the 'Login Items' tab and make sure Firefox is not there.
I believe that was number 1 on the list the OP checked.

Yup, done that (Point no. 1)

Is Firefox set as your default browser?

Could it be possible that you have a web location in your login items, which would cause that web location to open with your default browser (Firefox) when you log in?

Can you list your login items here for us to peruse and scrutinize?

Is Firefox set as your default browser?

Could it be possible that you have a web location in your login items, which would cause that web location to open with your default browser (Firefox) when you log in?

Can you list your login items here for us to peruse and scrutinize?

Yes, Firefox is my default browser.

The item on my System Preferences/Accounts/Login Items is only iTunesHelper.

Download the free application Appcleaner and use that to remove firefox (after you saved externally the Firefox bookmarks that you can import them back to the new Firefox). Then reboot and upon the reboot go back and download the current Firefox and reimport the bookmark external file to get your bookmarks back.

See if this helps.

Download the free application Appcleaner and use that to remove firefox (after you saved externally the Firefox bookmarks that you can import them back to the new Firefox). Then reboot and upon the reboot go back and download the current Firefox and reimport the bookmark external file to get your bookmarks back.

See if this helps.

I've just tried it, it still launch during startup after re-installing. :(

Then track the startup issue down. First restart and let it restart all the way up. Then open /Applications/Utilities/Console and check the Console startup logs and find the entry for launching firefox. This way you can trace down where it is getting it startup command.

Then track the startup issue down. First restart and let it restart all the way up. Then open /Applications/Utilities/Console and check the Console startup logs and find the entry for launching firefox. This way you can trace down where it is getting it startup command.

I've checked the console but not too sure what should I look out for. I'm sorry I'm not too good with this sort of thing, need a little extra guidance :confused:.

In Console's left hand column highlight all messages. This will show you everything the logs are collecting to show, in one window.

Now follow these steps because YOU have to be able to trace down the entry (during the the startup or reboot times) and read through the entries (please don't post the whole log) and find the time entry where it mentions Firefox.

The window top menu while have "Date & Time, Sender (the program creating the entry), Message (description for the message).

I know the log is long but if you have play detective in tracing down what portion of OS X is launching Firefox during the startup times. This is why i said to check console just after you startup. Then you can check those message times to find the entry, during the startup times, for FireFox being launched. The entry should describe where the process is that launching Firefox. I ask this because you can't find any startup processes in the standard OS X locations. So you have to play detective this time to help yourself!

Awesome, I found the culprit, it was bitdefender the problem stop after I uninstall bitdefender. Thank you for all the suggestions guys, I really appreciate them all. Cheers. :)

Back