[HOWTO]-Set up mac and pc wireless help

theor23

Registered
Hey everyone!

So I have a question on how to set up a macbook pro and a Dell dimension with the linksys wrt54g router. My question is...how to do it! Or can it even be done? I don't have a cd which is also a problem. I looked it up, couldn't download the software and got frustrated. Is there anyone who can help me out? Is there any additional information you will need?

Thank you!

The router provides an IP-address and a connection. If each computer is connection with an IP-address, then forget about the router. Its job is done.

You need Windows networking enabled on your Mac. My experience is that it is enabled by default:
  1. Click the Network globe icon in your Finder sidebar.
  2. Do you see your Windows workgroup? If you do, then click on its icon for your Windows computer.
If not, then:
  1. Open System Preferences.
  2. Click the Network preferences pane.
  3. Click the Advanced... button.
  4. Click the WINS tab.
  5. Type in the same workgroup name as your Windows computer. The default is WORKGROUP.
Each computer should now see other.

But I still need assistance...

On the network window I want to select "ethernet" correct?

On my PC I'm confused...do I want to set up a new connection?

On network connections it only has "local area connection"

I've set it up on the mac

You want to select "Ethernet" if you have an Ethernet connection. Select "Wi-Fi" if you have a wireless connection.

That said, it appears that your OP omitted a lot of relevant information. I am also beginning to suspect that you have thoroughly screwed your connection. If you have not screwed things, then both computers should make connections automatically.

Let's go back to your broadband modem:
  1. Remove your modem's power connection for 30 seconds. Repower it.
  2. Now for your router. You should have an Ethernet cable running from your broadband modem to the WAN port of your router. There is only one WAN port. It is labeled as such. It had different color than the LAN ports. Each LAN port is labeled as such.
  3. Are the sense-lights on your router properly lit and do they seem to be responding to network signals?
  4. Do your computers have wired or wireless connections? If they have wired connections, then they should be connected via Ethernet to a LAN port on the router. If they are connected wirelessly, then Wi-Fi should be enabled.
  5. Have you already futzed around with your router's settings on its internal web-based administration site?

@theor23 -
Do you want to share files between your Mac and your PC? (so you have access to all files on both computers?)
Or, do you just want to browse internet on both at the same time? (and don't need to have active access to files on the "other" computer?)
Or, some mix of both?

Plus take a look at the article File Sharing With Snow Leopard: Sharing OS X 10.6 Files With Windows 7 (the same way in 10.8 also).

Plus if you just connect the fastest port common to each computer, have both computers (you never said what version of Windows) & logged in, and in the OS X machine launch the program /Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant and follow the steps in getting your email, pictures & videos.

IMHO though do NOT transfer networking setup. Do that network setup from the Mac and join any network through System Preferences (in the Dock)->Network pane.

Also look at the video Wireless Setup: Mac OS X. Plus don't be afraid of using System Preferences->Network pane wireless toggle to join the network.

Lastly if you need a password for your router (having never logged into it) look at the web site Router Passwords. Get to the router just open system Preferences->Network pane and get the 'Router IP' and put that IP into your favorite browser to get the router's login page.

Last edited:
I just need it for internet... I'm also running windows xp. I'm still having trouble figuring this out. I do think I screwed the configuration with the router considering I've used it awhile back. I'm going to take another gander at what im doing

@theor23 -
Do you want to share files between your Mac and your PC? (so you have access to all files on both computers?)
Or, do you just want to browse internet on both at the same time? (and don't need to have active access to files on the "other" computer?)
Or, some mix of both?

Back