[HOWTO] - Spell a word

Ashka

Kiwi
If you know and have typed the first few letters of a word but not enough for the built in spell checker just hit F5 or option esc. You will get a list of options :) Works in most cocoa programs.

Ah, VERY cool.

Note, on Powerbooks/iBooks that have F5 as the volume control, hold down Fn and then press F5.

Thanks Ashka!

Yah! Wow, all most spend hundred of Dollars to get a text perdition software, now I can use the money to get a 1GB iPOD Shuffle.

Thanks Ashka for the iPOD Shuffle.

Be aware that this feature is quite limited in depth and scope. SpellCatcher and Grammarian have superb feature sets. Perhaps the best application extant in this area is UltraLingua, with modules for most major languages.

Does this work in all languages? My mac is set to English so I canno ttest. Can someone with a none English OSX setting provide feed-back? Thanks

:eek: All these years I could, i mean could of, been using this. I know this is way past the post but, I was so excited I had to reply, BIG THANKS! :D

Spellcheckers are one thing, grammar is another!

All these years I could have been teaching English instead of science.

Come on Fryke, interpret the dictionary for your language and incorporate that into the OS X dictionary. I bet there is a handsome wad of cash to the one who does that. ;)

Yeah. :) ... It's rather the _time_ that's missing. BUT! I've just tried it, and while the normal dictionary doesn't show anything else but English, the trick _does_ give me a choice of German words. I don't know where it gets those words, though.

Oh, I got it now. Stupid me. The Dictionary.app in Tiger, which also lets you define words you hover over, has _nothing_ at all to do with input correction. Completely separate dictionaries, apparently. Well: Not only stupid me, but also stupid Apple, I'd say... I think there should simply (?) be _one_ dictionary (or more) for each language supported by Mac OS X.

Back