HP and Apple

That's quite aggressive marketing: Apple is No.1 right now and planning to stay it!

But they will use iTunes, so it's partly good. But iPod is unique and really cute, they could gain some market, but iPod has a better future.

This is pretty significant.

By far the biggest threat to Apple is Microsoft's commoditization [sic] of the the on-line music market; churning out clone music stores linked to branded music players.

In this scenario, Microsoft enshrouds the music world in a grey vail. No innovation, no variation, cheap 'n' nasty from beginning to end.

Microsoft will surely feel as though they've been slapped across the face by this one. Saying that, didn't HP release some ERP software for the Xserve last year?

Maybe this is the beginning of a new relationship?

Apple really need to open up iTMS and the iPod and really ought to be working with Real to make their variant of the ACC format work with Apple's. This way, Microsoft get left out in the cold and Windows Media Player gets marginalized...

Lest we forget that HP and Apple have been in cahoots before. Apple used to sell printers branded as Apple but manufactured by HP. I can't site specific models, but it did happen. It's definitely good news. Compaq/HP is a huge supplier of WinBlowz PCs and this is an excellent in for Apple. Many average consumers are content with whatever is already on their computer, so if it's iTunes instead of something else, you've increased your defacto user base from just Mac users to a good percentage of HP/Compaq PC users.

sjb2016 said:
Many average consumers are content with whatever is already on their computer...

That's an excellent point.

By doing this, Apple / HP could very well make iTunes + iPod as ubiquitous as Internet Explorer is.

What would be interesting is if this drew Microsoft and made them resort to one of their oft-employed tactics .. hobbling!

It's not unlike Microsoft to issue patches that break software. If iTunes started to get a head of steam together, Microsoft might just be tempted to move the furniture around.

But would they? This is all pretty high-profile stuff. How could they do it without being noticed?

Hmmm .. interesting times, indeed!

Besides this being a good way to keep and maintain Apple iTMS in the mindshare of people and possible music buyers... who among us haven't seen the new iPaq 4000 series? They're slender as all get out.

All I can hope for now is an iPod/PDA in the form of an iPaq. I wouldn't care if it's a bit thicker than my iPaq 2215. As long as it would become one less gadget I have to carry about when I travel.

But yes. This is a very good move imho.

<applause>

We've gotta remember that Apple's iTunes for Windows only works with the iPod -- and, obviously, HP's new music player. Perhaps iTunes will be regularly updated to support Apple-sanctioned and Apple-partnered music devices...

This is a good leap forward for Apple -- Steve's learned that licensing isn't a completely bad thing when done under controlled circumstances. Great way to boost market share, even if only for one product, and a great way to increase awareness.

I just hope they don't bastardize the iPod's interface (both physical & digital), like making it look like that Dell POS that's out now.

Arden said:
I just hope they don't bastardize the iPod's interface (both physical & digital), like making it look like that Dell POS that's out now.

That's not going to happen. Not while there's a breath in Steve Jobs' lungs. The whole point of the iPod _is_ the interface which in turn becomes the experience.

What I would add, though is the fact that the iPod is assembled from mostly standard parts and Apple could quite quickly OEM it and be up there with any of the competition in no time. This is an important point, because it gives Apple plenty of elbow room to outmaneuver the other guys.

Historically, Apple have been against OEM. They prefer the roll-your-own method of production. But this new HP deal must something like that.

I can well imagine HP taking list of parts required, getting their design people to knock up a fascia incorporating the dial and then dropping the lot on their production line, that way not relying on Apple's distribution.

The question here is: if Apple have brokered a deal with HP, is there any more such deals in the pipeline with other manufacturers?..

And here's an update from MacRumors:

ZDNet fills in more details about the upcoming HP-branded iPod device.

Apple will manufacture the player, which will not have the iPod name, but will have the same design and features as Apple's third-generation iPod players, Phil Schiller, senior vice president at Apple, said in an interview. Also, the HP music player will come in "HP Blue," he said.
According to Phil Schiller, the HP device will display an Apple logo at start up and will work with current 3rd Generation iPod accessories.

While Apple does not exclude the possibility of other company-branded iPods, the HP deal to bundle the iTunes Music Store with their PCs is reportedly a "multiyear, exclusive" deal.

Of note, there is still no official word on the capacities or price of the new HP iPod.

It's a great deal for both and good timing. Every other company seems to have been anti-iPod, anti-iTMS to stem their success, but here's a big enough company jumping on the bandwagon. It's about time.

sjb2016 said:
Apple used to sell printers branded as Apple but manufactured by HP. I can't site specific models, but it did happen.
Yes, that's true. I know because I had to fix up an old Mac Plus for a friend of my mum, and the printer was an obscure and all-but-forgotten Apple StyleWriter, which just happened to be running on HP cartridges.

Back on topic, though, this is very significant news and represents a great opportunity both for HP and Apple.

Well, CNet posted a little video of the showing of the device by HP's Carly Fiorina at CES. It's looks like just a different color iPod with a HP logo on the back. So, it most likely has the same exact electronics & the same iPod software in it.

Wow... it's so ugly! Anodized aluminum looks good with different colors, molded plastic doesn't.

Maybe this is a way to sell more iPods branded as such... "Well, you could go for the HP player, but it's the exact same as the iPod but with a different color."

Oh, don't worry, I don't intend to.

I had trouble with the WM player too... if you click on the RM link, it loads in the browser window instead of in the player, so you can watch the movie if you want to. It's not that interesting, though.

fryke said:
You don't have to actually BUY the hPod, Arden. ;-) And: That video kills my browsers. I don't get past the 'teaser' after the ad. The 'real' video (MS, as I hate Real's player software even more) just never shows; instead my browsers crash. :/

Well, I had no problems with the Real video option. I've used it quite a lot before now.

The Microsoft player, however, is different kettle of fish all together .. it is rubbish! Whether they've hobbled the mac version or not, I just don't know, but it's terrible...

Back