I bought my first PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

solrac

Mac Ninja
I've had my PowerBook Titanium 400 laptop for over a year now, and it was time for a desktop system. Why? Because the PowerBook is just too slow. With 1 GB of RAM, it now runs a lot better, but certain tasks just take too long. The Get Info window in Jaguar takes 4 seconds to pop up. Save for web in Photoshop takes 4 seconds to pop up. Lots of windows take like 4 seconds to pop up. The video card cannot be upgraded. Quartz Extreme cannot be enjoyed.

A mac desktop was not an option. (I'm broke here, folks!)

So, I borrowed $600 from a friend and built a PC. It's a 1.8 Ghz Celeron, 640 MB RAM, 100 GB Hard Drive w/ 8 MB buffer, CD-ROM, Network Card, GeForce 4 Ti 4200 Video Card, and a used flat panel display... I did get some discounts from a friend who works at a computer store.

Here are my comments between my mac and the PC.

Ways PC is BETTER
1) Of course, the PC loads web pages way faster (although Chimera on mac at least comes pretty close, but the mass market of mac users do not know about Chimera).
2) Flash animations are 1000% faster (conservative estimate)
3) GUI is MUCH faster (all windows pop up instantly, including Photoshop save for web, etc.)
4) I get to play Counterstrike and the new Battlefiled 1942 Demo game, etc.

Ways the Mac is BETTER
1) The PC is loud as all hell. I keep my laptop running 24/7 (sleeping when not in use). I was going to do the same with the PC but it's too loud. (The fan)
2) The graphics are just CRAP. The whole windows GUI (using 2000 Professional) is all choppy and nasty.
3) Mac OS X allows you to make multiple network settings!!! C'mon, Windows....
4) PC kept choking on bad RAM. Took a bunch of tries until I got in some RAM in there that worked well
5) Anytime I use the PC for a little while I just miss the mac

Conclusion:
Even though the GUI is faster on PC, and it's a much faster computer than this 400 mhz G4 (mac), I can't bear to use it very much. I only use it to do Flash work, look at certain web sites (especially flash ones), and play games. Anything else, and I'm constantly going back to the mac.

The mac os is like artwork, beautiful... i can't believe how bad the graphics are on the PC.

If I had the dual 1.25 Ghz Desktop mac, i know the GUI would be just as fast (or very very close) to windows and just put that comptuer to shame. I don't know if Flash would be comparable, but to me.... there's no point to the PC other than to play games and look at flash web sites.

Of course, there are some nifty tools on PC you can't get on mac (at least not yet) like optimaze (for flash), and some plugins for photoshop. Nothing major though.

Macs rule

I guess you have not paid for your MS Windows 2000 license either, right? I can't see how you could have spent $600 total on the computer including $200 for a Windows 2000 license.

That kindof make it look cheaper than it actually is, right?

:confused:

Hmm, I tend to agree on all points... I had to purchase a £600 pc laptop... it is soley resigned to web testing and the odd thing that cannot be done on a Mac (like hold the door open:p )

I do wish for speedy UI but I know the next Mac I purchase will deal with this (holding out for one of those mythical G5's, anyone know anything;) :rolleyes: )

Apart from this, and the keep apps open when a different user wants to log-in, there ain't much I'd take from Windows (this being XP I use!... not eye candy, but eye fat cake!)

But I don't wanna get into another PC-Mac debate;)

The good news is that the GUI does get better on the big Macs. It's still not mind blowingly fast for window resizing, but all other GUI operations (scrolling, moving, etc.) are as fast as you could want.

The bad news is that it costs a premium, though the DP 867 is a very nice bang for you buck box.

I used to be a PC user, and I haven't turned back. Windows XP actually gets on my nerves. Speed will come in X, it will just take time. Keep in mind, that Apple is going from an enviroment that had no kernal, to one that does. Also, one of the reasons why XP is so much faster, is that it uses a second generation display layer, as opposed to the third generation used in X. There are huge differences, that just wouldn't be possible in in Windows.

Just bought Flash MX for X, and it runs great.

I miss Classic's GUI speed, which is not present in X. Hope Infinity Loop residents will do something about it. :(

Flash MX works very well on my iMac G4/800 running OS 10.1.5. Just in case you "Flasheads" are wondering.

Originally posted by plastic
Just bought Flash MX for X, and it runs great.

I miss Classic's GUI speed, which is not present in X. Hope Infinity Loop residents will do something about it. :(

Flash MX works very well on my iMac G4/800 running OS 10.1.5. Just in case you "Flasheads" are wondering.

On mine, Flash MX is slow. It gets slower as you use it. Opening the actions panel takes like 4 seconds. (Faster on subsequent opens.) Eventually just clicking on a layer takes a whole second to light it up. F8 for new symbol can take a whole second. If it gets slower and slower, you can't do much but restart the computer.

The 1 GB of RAM helps a lot.... but still... dog slow compared to a PC.

And of course, Flash movies (SWF files) run 100000000000% faster on PC.

PCs also have many nifty flash tools not available for mac, such as Optimaze.

If your'e doing Flash, the mac is not a good choice.

I do web design and flash and video stuff and mac os x is wayyyy better so I put up with the flash problems.....

I dunno guys...
my G3 350 MHz is fast enough for normal use, including FlashMX, which runs beautifully!

Of course windows resizing is slooooow, but this seems to be an issue on much faster machines too.

I only need more power for digital audio.

FrgMstr

Macs come with OS X preloaded, so no, you're not paying for it. A custom-built PC isn't going to include a Windows license, so you have to factor in the price of the OS to make it equivalent.

What part of that don't you get?

squidbite - since you choose to disable pm's and email communications, you are the proud reciepient of a public warning. Your post was edited for attacking another site member. FrgMstr may not be gung ho mac but he provides a civil voice of disagreement. Your personal attacks on him or any other site members will not be tolerated. Consider this your official warning. a second violation of board rules will result in loss of status as a registered member.

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
squidbite - since you choose to disable pm's and email communications, you are the proud reciepient of a public warning. Your post was edited for attacking another site member. FrgMstr may not be gung ho mac but he provides a civil voice of disagreement. Your personal attacks on him or any other site members will not be tolerated. Consider this your official warning. a second violation of board rules will result in loss of status as a registered member.

Hehe, Ed, ever Considered being a Copper?! .. or maybe something a little more laid back, but still with Power?! a ticket inspector, maybe a Scholol Head of Year?! LOL! :D

NeYo

no, i can't say that i have Neyo. I really don't enjoy this part of moderating at all. i would much rather we all just treated each other as human beings like it says in my sig. Squidbite would have gotten edited and a private explanation just like everyone else around here had he not chosen to block any private communication from anyone on this site which indicates to me that squidbite is avoiding resonsibility for his actions here..

i am studing to be a psychologist - i would much rather work with someone privately to help them increase their self control than to enforce issues of self control in a public forum. that's really all this is an issue of - exercising some self restraintraint and not mouthing off in ways that would get you beaten up in a face to face reality. :)

<<squidbite - since you choose to disable pm's and email communications, you are the proud reciepient of a public warning. Your post was edited for attacking another site member. FrgMstr may not be gung ho mac but he provides a civil voice of disagreement. Your personal attacks on him or any other site members will not be tolerated. Consider this your official warning. a second violation of board rules will result in loss of status as a registered member.>>

Oooh. So you're going to kill off one of the remaining 5 people who even visit this site any more? Go right ahead, Ed. Reduce this site to the rubble it deserves to be reduced to with your egomaniacal power trip (get a frickin' LIFE will you?!) and Admin's playground antics.

Take a good long look at site traffic, especially:

1) after the site was purposely kept offline for a full day, and then

2) after your pathetic ploy for sympathy and tearful kudos for a job well done with that ridiculous poll asking if you should stay or go.

I said it before, and now I really mean it: if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. FrgMstr's posts are passive-aggressive (I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds them so), and need to be responded to accordingly.

In closing, I have a suggestion where you can stow the "board rules."

sorry to have interrupted your conversation solrac. :D

see what kinds of problems you run into when you buy a pc? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back