I bought my first PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
pcs only suck if you dont know how to use them, really folks get a grip, these days computers are basically computers, if you have decent hardware in either os its gonna run damned fine :p

reason why the masses thinks pcs are reliable because most of the masses a) dont know how to use computers and b) own pc's

so really all this crap about pcs being unreliable and slow and crappy is a load of bs, if you know how to use it, its friggen beautiful, same as the mac os...

i dislike when either platform is offed as being crappy just because said person doesnt know how to use it...

Originally posted by BuddahBobb
pcs only suck if you dont know how to use them, really folks get a grip, these days computers are basically computers, if you have decent hardware in either os its gonna run damned fine :p

Out of curiousity, what kinda PC system are you running? And HOW MUCH TIME you spend on maintenance of the PC? Just curious. We have a PC Render farm (20 PC per rack) for the Discreet 3D MAX system. And the IT dudes are usually either smoking or drinking coffee.

There is no need for a Mac dude because all the editors and designers are doing our own maintenance.

So I am really curious.

Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Before I get flamed again, I just want to know the facts and truth about PCs. I have never had a good experience with a PC, and I really would love to know more.

I have seen many techies in PC and Mac environment and there is a great difference. So I really want to hear it from your point of you.

ED

You have definately earned my respect from what ive seen in this thread, even though im pro pc more often than not you still let me go about my business aslong as i dont break the rules. Yet you are quick to pounce on rule breakers pro mac or not.

Well done keep up the good work, and good luck with your degree.

Yeahbutyoustilluseapc.irn :p :eek:

[.irn = MIME type for ironic]:rolleyes:

... or should that be .ped for pedantic:confused:

in my experience i have had equal problems on both platforms

win98 and os8 both gave me stability issues

win2k and os9 were both pretty damned stable and getting quicker

winxp and osx were both stable and buggy when first released, both have had various fixes, mac has improved osx more than microsoft has with xp, but xp was more complete when it was released

my maintanence on both machines is pretty simple, every sunday i run disk checks, volume checks etc and defrag the drives on both my systems, occasionally i run into a bigger problem, but that happens on either machine, hell just in the last two days ive had to reinstall jag twice because of a samba issue changing the ownership on all my files and osx disk check "repair permissions" didnt solve the issue... because ive had a couple problems with osx does that mean i run around telling everyone that osx sucks and blah blah? no it was a USER error and MOST computer issues are USER errors whether they know it or not.. true there are hardware conflicts etc, but more often than not the reliability, speed etc depend on the user, not the system

maybe im one of the few computer users out there that refuse to take part in this little piss war between what the better os is...

I also recently built my first PC..
AMD Athlon XP 1600+,
ASUS A7V266-C mobo,
256MB DDR 2100,
6 GB hard drive from my old iMac, (need a bigger one)
15" NEC Multisync LCD 1525V,
BenQ 56x cd-rom (should've got a CDRW)
and a Geforce 4 Ti4200.
Windows XP

The only reason I built my PC was to play games on it. I like it a lot. I had no problems with RAM on the pc. But just recently I got problems with my newly bought 512MB PC-133 RAM with my iMac. I took it out and everything is going good. Thats not the only thing that has pissed me off with the mac recently. Burning is a bitch because I have compatability issues with disk copy and toast burned cds with my PC (my burner is slow, too)

I do have a problem with the pc, I cant seem to get any games to install and play except for Warcraft 3.

my two cents.

Thanks for the insight into the PC vs Mac OS thingy. I am not here to piss off Windoze like Macsurfshop does... :D and I use a PC at home like WOLF to play games (nice graphic card in your set up Wolf, I am still stuck with a Gforce 2 MX400) and I have been having crappy problems with the PC. It has been reformatted twice since I got it (8 months) and I hardly run into any problems with the Macs (to be fair, I am still stuck with 9.2.2 because of the Audio software that I am using).

BuddahBobb, from my experience in the Apple Centre, I think you should not even worry about defrag in Mac. "Move, erase and move back" is the best way to maintain the Mac HDD from experience. Most problems with HDD, from experience, comes from using defrag software like Norton Utilites or MacMedic. I am not sure why this happens and I cannot give you a technical explanation, so as a rule of thumb, I don't defrag. So far this worked fine on my whole army of Macs.

But I will continue to learn more about PCs from the others in this forums to get a clearer perspective about PCs. I know I am going to get shot again for this, but the majority of the programmers from a respectable PC company and someone from Intel I know in Singapore uses Macs at home and sometimes at work (because of OS X) and they swear that the Mac is a better platform. Might want to get them in here one day to explain why. They are the real PC gurus I know in person and they too, prefers the "stability" of Macs and they have never dare claim that PC are as stable.

This is why I am so confused when you guys went on to say that MS WIN OS is stable when the guys in (cannot reveal) says other wise and they are all praise for the Jaguar. They even daringly made a bulk purchase for Jaguar which really made me laugh.

Like someone else said, this is a matter of preference. I respect that. I just prefer my computer snowy and silvery.

THanks for sharing, everyone. ProMac or ProPC. I have learnt lots.

...say it again:

PCs (but NOT Macs) are like bomb devices:
They are just ticking, ticking and ticking and then BOOM!

ANYONE who thinks that PCs are stable in ANY incarnation (Win9x up to WinXP, including Win2k Server) OBVIOUSLY he/she haven't seen THAT many PCs to understand what's really going on...

You built that Win (insert ANY windows version here) box with Pentium4/2 GHz and/or AthlonXP/2000+ with JUST M$ Office... And after some days and/or months the box DOESN'T start-up, giving you one, two or more BSOD! And that's not in a home environment only, where you can say that it doesn't matter THAT much but in an company environment too where they do NOT play games, do NOT install garbageware and everything is supposedly as clean as possible on the PCs! And you know what? Such thing REALLY matters in companies! Haven't you notice that how many companies chose NOT to buy the Windows XP simply because they had their companies burned for buying that new, stable, platform of Windows 2000 Pro/Server with Pentium4 1 or 1 1/2 years ago :mad:

The reason why a PC stops working? Sorry! There is no logical reason why the box doesn't start other maybe that it got a soul by itself and decided to stop working for a human :D

As for performance, oh please... Here is a part from a previous post of mine:
Have you ever used an Athlon XP 2100? PentiumIV 2,53? Dual G4/1000? I've used every single one of them in PhotoShop, Corel 10, DVD mastering, basic OS apps (Win2k & XP for PC, OS X for G4) and you know what? You DO NOT understand the f..king difference :mad:

On the contrary ANYONE who sees the dual g4 in action gets his pants wet! Why? Because it can have Win2k server running under Virtual PC uploading content to the internet, play mp3, burn CD, have a load of apps loaded and continues to perform that PhotoShop/Corel action while having Classic apps downloading content from the Internet... Even on Pentium IV 2,53 running 2k/XP such a similar thing becomes a nightmare! Apps DON'T respond like in G4 and most of the time they seem like going to crash... Most of the people base the speed of the processors with benchmarks and how fast Windows compared to Mac OS X draw windows on the screen. BS. And anyone who saw a dual g4 in action and any of the above x86 rigs in action knows what I'm talking about... and right about now smiles, BIG time... :D

Oh, did I mention that the x86 rigs run with DDR/266/333 memory, FASTER Geforce cards, ATA-133 hard disks, etc? Wait till Apple gives us such things... Even without faster Gx processors we will see MORE speed coming from a G3/G4 box because you know what? The OS is another speed factor and Mac OS X with more speed is here: They've left the cat out of the bag babe!

PS. Even ZDnet (which they always find ugly things to say about Apple), lately with the Jaguar and all, they seem to enjoy apples, dare I say, more than M$ Wintel boxes
PS. As for games... The truth, while it hurts, is that PC simply has more and better games than the Mac but then again the same can be said for the PC when you compared it with Xbox, PS2, Gamecube and yes, even Dreamcast
PS. And a BIG reason that NOONE mentions why they prefer a PC instead of a Mac and/or games console is that of piracy. They can have the latest and the greatest apps/games with almost no costs and they seem to like it more than anything else and that's why they prefer the BlueSreenOfDeath instead of Aqua the BlueScreenOfLife!

Originally posted by hulkaros
...say it again:

PCs (but NOT Macs) are like bomb devices:
They are just ticking, ticking and ticking and then BOOM!

ANYONE who thinks that PCs are stable in ANY incarnation (Win9x up to WinXP, including Win2k Server) OBVIOUSLY he/she haven't seen THAT many PCs to understand what's really going on...

You built that Win (insert ANY windows version here) box with Pentium4/2 GHz and/or AthlonXP/2000+ with JUST M$ Office... And after some days and/or months the box DOESN'T start-up, giving you one, two or more BSOD! And that's not in a home environment only, where you can say that it doesn't matter THAT much but in an company environment too where they do NOT play games, do NOT install garbageware and everything is supposedly as clean as possible on the PCs! And you know what? Such thing REALLY matters in companies! Haven't you notice that how many companies chose NOT to buy the Windows XP simply because they had their companies burned for buying that new, stable, platform of Windows 2000 Pro/Server with Pentium4 1 or 1 1/2 years ago :mad:

The reason why a PC stops working? Sorry! There is no logical reason why the box doesn't start other maybe that it got a soul by itself and decided to stop working for a human :D

As for performance, oh please... Here is a part from a previous post of mine:
Have you ever used an Athlon XP 2100? PentiumIV 2,53? Dual G4/1000? I've used every single one of them in PhotoShop, Corel 10, DVD mastering, basic OS apps (Win2k & XP for PC, OS X for G4) and you know what? You DO NOT understand the f..king difference :mad:

On the contrary ANYONE who sees the dual g4 in action gets his pants wet! Why? Because it can have Win2k server running under Virtual PC uploading content to the internet, play mp3, burn CD, have a load of apps loaded and continues to perform that PhotoShop/Corel action while having Classic apps downloading content from the Internet... Even on Pentium IV 2,53 running 2k/XP such a similar thing becomes a nightmare! Apps DON'T respond like in G4 and most of the time they seem like going to crash... Most of the people base the speed of the processors with benchmarks and how fast Windows compared to Mac OS X draw windows on the screen. BS. And anyone who saw a dual g4 in action and any of the above x86 rigs in action knows what I'm talking about... and right about now smiles, BIG time... :D

Oh, did I mention that the x86 rigs run with DDR/266/333 memory, FASTER Geforce cards, ATA-133 hard disks, etc? Wait till Apple gives us such things... Even without faster Gx processors we will see MORE speed coming from a G3/G4 box because you know what? The OS is another speed factor and Mac OS X with more speed is here: They've left the cat out of the bag babe!

PS. Even ZDnet (which they always find ugly things to say about Apple), lately with the Jaguar and all, they seem to enjoy apples, dare I say, more than M$ Wintel boxes
PS. As for games... The truth, while it hurts, is that PC simply has more and better games than the Mac but then again the same can be said for the PC when you compared it with Xbox, PS2, Gamecube and yes, even Dreamcast
PS. And a BIG reason that NOONE mentions why they prefer a PC instead of a Mac and/or games console is that of piracy. They can have the latest and the greatest apps/games with almost no costs and they seem to like it more than anything else and that's why they prefer the BlueSreenOfDeath instead of Aqua the BlueScreenOfLife!

That sounds great and all but I have lots of PC friends who've never had a blue screen of death for no reason. It just takes knowledge of how the computer works.

It's true though that to maintain a PC very well is A LOT harder and complicated than maintaning a mac.

So, Solrac you have friends who are living in this world and never had a BSOD while using Win(any version)? And this is the truth? What do they do? Play Solitaire? Write documents in Notepad? Oh, Please! THIS IS BS... EVERYONE in the real world using ANY Windows version had a BSOD now and then!

Me too, have spoken with people (not just friends but customers as well) who claimed NOT having a BSOD screen until I pointed out what that BSOD really is... And guess what? They knew what I was talking about...

Maintaining PCs is not just harder but it is useless because one day it just decides to play dead...

Also, try this: Talk to ANYONE and explain to them how your very old and then your old and then your new computer makes you angry for crashing now and then and how you really hate them... Not mentioning the fact that you use a Mac but ANY PC running Windows. You know what? They will understand you and start saying to you that they have more or less similar problems or even worst! Also, if one understands that he/she knows more than you about PCs he/she will try to offer you help by giving you advises like use Windows 2000/XP or buy another device from a well known company and useless tricks like those... But in the end you and you mate will agree that a Wintel machine has its problems, other times strange ones, other times logical ones, and some other times simply paranoid ones! You will agree, agree and agree all of the time if you say the above things. And when you finally decide to tell the truth that you have a Mac and you hate PCs you will see the same person before your eyes changing into another person who hates Macs and loves his PC life ALL the way because he/she doesn't have ANY problems... Yeah, right! :) :p :D :p ;)

me poke at hulkaros gently...

Allow me to say this... Everyone knows how we pro-Mac-ers feel about x86-ers. But I think this PC bashing thing have to be done in a more graceful way...

I am being nosey here, but I do hope that a Mac forum will not turn into another one of those ugly places. I like this joint a lot and have been reading and coming back often. Just pains me to see Ed coming in and having to tell fellow Mac-ers off about PC bashing.

Like I mentioned earlier, just a gentle request... can?

Well, excuse me Plastic if I offended you or anyone else in this forum. This wan NOT my intention... However, did I used bad language? Did I tell lies? Did I say simply say that PCs suck? Nope!

What I simply post was MY experiences with BOTH platforms (I have the privilege to work as a technician for both PCs and Macs).

I am not pro-mac nor PC-basher... I simply state MY experiences. Now, if my experiences seem to bash PCs and/or be pro-Mac, excuse me! I simply post facts based on my experiences on the PC/Mac field and if you or anyone else, feel like I bash PCs or I blindly support the Mac I simply say: Welcome to the real world! Since when one can post BS about Mac or even worst lies on how PCs are better than Macs and go unnoticed? I am MORE than happily willing to beat it from this forum if Ed says so. Just because anyone can post BS about how much better PCs are from Macs and me not be able to reply back then if this is your way (including this very forum) I simply choose NOT to obey anyone on this and just say with ALL my heart:

Macs ARE better than PCs overall :cool:

Originally posted by hulkaros
Did I tell lies? Did I say simply say that PCs suck? Nope!

actually stating your personal experiences as "proof" that all pc's suck basically show you as a liar in that regard

win9x gave me about as man bsod's as the mac0s (pre X) gave me bomb's... this is coming from someone who has run two labs before, a pc lab and a mac lab

both plat forms get extremely messy with use by people who dont know what they are doing

where as my pc and mac at home i havent had many problems either way... i would say because i know what im doing, but with osx i really dont.. yet ;)

anyways i just think its funny when a user is so ignorant that they f*ck up their computer, dont know they did it, then blame it on the os... anyways ive had enough of sitting here defending pc's being attacked by blind mac loyalists, just as ive gotten sick on pc boards saying crap about macs... its obvious there is so much hatred and contempt for the other system that it has rendered your ears and mind closed to all outside or different arguments or opinions...

so i'll kindly just swallow it and put up with the constant bullsh*t one sided opinions of this forum

it bothers me when people compare Macs to PC's ..when in actuality they are really comparing Mac OS to Windows. ( mostly )

PC != Windows ( for non-programming minds, that means "PC does NOT equal Windows ) - - i just wanted to make that perfectly clear.

As everyone knows, OS X is based on BSD which has been developed on PC's for many Years.

I have 3 systems now, .. P4 1.7GHZ PC Running windows, an AMD 1.5GHZ PC running Redhat 7.3, and a Dual 1GHZ G4 running OS X.

Each of my non-Mac systems were under $800. If I put the $3k into a non-Mac server that I spent on my Mac, it would no doubt be an amazing piece of equipment. I could put BSD 4.6 on it and it would be an incredible server. Even an $800 PC with BSD on it would make a solid server.

I love my Mac, .. OS X is the most beautiful GUI I have seen by far, .. and especially since it's running on a unix kernel.

Each System of mine serves it's own purpose. For example, there are several IDE's that I run on windows such as Visual C++ for developing windows programs. As an application developer, this is a must. Even for a web developer, having a windows box is a must if you care what people are going to be seeing. Also as mentioned earlier, certain games such as counter-strike can only be played on windows. ( even though there is a linux port for the server program ) (( no it won't work on os x )) I use my redhat box for learning and developing my unix skills and I constantly change distros to see what new things are being developed. My mac is used for Video/Audio editing. I use each box for what it does best. ( i'm not a switcher, i go 3 ways )

If you like OS X so much then you must appreciate the *nix community who mostly run and develops on pc's with their favorite ever-changing latest distro. Of course using these various versions of *nix is not for the average computer user.

The only point I'm really trying to make here is that saying "PC's Suck" is completely ignorant. Saying "Macs are incredible" is not. Saying "Windows Sucks" is ok too, but mostly cause we like to bash gill bates =)

A minivan might suck to a teenager, but a family of 6 would think otherwise. errr, nevermind, bad analogy, minivans just suck now cause of suv's.. but you get what i'm saying.

Is anyone with me on this one?

BuddahBobb - i think you are a bit overstating it to say that Hulkaros is a liar becuase he bases his proof upon his own experience. It would be more fair to say that his results may be limited by the nature of the environment in which he has made his observations, or by not having a large enough sample of observations, or.... i hope you see what i am getting at.

we are all entitiled to "personl truths" whether they hold up all the time or not. This discussion always tends to get messy when we all start talking about the different aspects.

I am just an average user and i have yet to see a pc that runs as nicely as a mac unless it is dedicated to a limited number of applications. but i admit that is based upon a limited number of observations. Outside of the web, i don't know anyone in real life that gets as wrapped up in platform wars as folks here do. But i do know that my pc using friends are constantly frustrated because their computers have difficulty doing the things they are supposed to be able to. whereas most mac users are frustrated by not having the full range of options in software that pc's do. This makes me feel pretty good that at least 90% or more of the time i can at least do what i expect given the limitations of a platform that is treated like a second class citizen of the world simply because the majority never bother to investigate it due to cost and ffear of having to learn something new.

do i have any proof that macs are better and pc's suck - no, at least none outside of my personal experience. and i am sure that makes me biased, but at least i am happy with my bias and my experience and can be proud to be one of the 5% who actually make up about 50% of the active average web users (i forget where i get that figure, but it was in a news article somewhere recently).

but i do think it is unfair to claim that macs always work and that they are trouble free. several forums around here are pretty good proof that this isn't so. Being the best doesn't mean being perfect. and it is probably fair to say that whose hands are operating either platform has much to do with how well it works.

like i said im dropping it, as far as im concerned when im here i just have to put up with the "fact" that windows is a crappy os, that is unreliable...

Originally posted by BuddahBobb
like i said im dropping it, as far as im concerned when im here i just have to put up with the "fact" that windows is a crappy os, that is unreliable...

Hey Buddah, that is a great philosophy. It will make my stay here much more enjoyable also. =)

It's funny, .. it kinda reminds me of having a nice Harley, and a nice Kawasaki street bike. When you're with the Harley crowd, you wouldn't really be talking much about any other brand, .. unless it was about it sucking... even though you use each one for different things.

To say the least, I find it absolutely ridiculous how Mac users who have never used a PC for more than five minutes can talk about how Windows CONSTANTLY has a blue screen.

Whether it's Windows 95/98/ME, 2000 or XP, blue screens happen for a reason and most of the time it's because the user did something idiotic. The same way Mac users will get a kernel panic, Windows will get a blue screen. No different way.

Since I switched to 2000 and then XP, I never had a blue screen. I used to experience blue screens when I had sh*tty systems running on defective motherboards, incompatible ram or a burned-out video card. Give me a new system with quality hardware as I have it now, and I will never get a blue screen whether it's 95 or XP.

Just to give you an idea, I've had my XP system now running for 5 days because of extensive downloading and waiting in queues. Has it crashed? No. Has it slowed down? Hell no. Have my transfers constantly come in without a problem? Yes.

Choosing the PC over a Mac is basically choosing variety. With a PC, even though Windows XP is not as pretty as the Mac OS X is, I get first dibs on every new piece of hardware (except those made explicitly by Apple), I get first dibs on software, I get first dibs on utilities that allow me to do more on the Internet and in the world.

The second a Mac gives a regular user a huge selection of games that are released at the same time as the PC (this does not exist no matter what some of you say, Warcraft 3 does not translate into a variety, it's ONE game), once the Mac gets cool hardware at a good price (and not double the price like just about everything in its selection), and once Apple gets something other than its iTools to push its system, it'll beat the PC. Until then, you're stuck.

You guys can talk about how cool your iTools are for the rest of your lives. iTools doesn't make a system. iTools isn't even part of the system anymore. Whether you like the sh*tty OS that Windows is or not, Microsoft's garbage can of an OS as you will refer to it allows for more choice, not less (regardless of what you might say about its 'anti-competitive practices').

My opinion of the latter is that Microsoft truly provides a product that is superior to the competition so there should not be a wonder as to why it is in the lead and not trailing behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back