I can´t change the priviliges for the HD ?

stronzio

Registered
Hello !

It is inpossible to change the privileges for the HD , I can´t even change the name . Where/ how can i change it ?

Highlight the drive icon, hit Command-I. In the Ownership section, you can change.

Sorry I´ve tried that already but it´s not possible to change anything there , the area "Name & Extensions" and "Privileges " doesn´t " Highlite" !
Do you know how to change it ?

ive had similar problems in the past. i think i've logged back in as root, then changed privileges there, and logged back in as myself. i think. just be careful in root, as you dont wanna get rid of anything you need....

In the Get Info>Permissions Pane there is a lock. Click that, you should be able to change then.

Thanks for all the help but it almost seems impossible to do anything about it . You can have look for yourself if you want ( Attachment ). This is all i get when i ask for Info .

Still got any ideas ? Maybe i should go and by myself a new computer , after all this one is getting old !

Thank you anyway !!

Are you the primary user with admin privileges, or is this someone else's computer like your parents or a school's (i.e., you aren't an "Admin" user on that machine)?

If you're not an administrator you can't change the name or privileges.

Maybe someone a bit more UNIX savvy can shed some more light, but I can start you down the path...

The answer, I presume, lies in the chown command from the Terminal.app. Something along the lines of sudo chown system:admin /

**NOTE** I am not 100% certain of the command listed above it was meant only as an example and starting point. I will not be held responsible for any damage incurred on a system by issuing the above command. Thank you. ;)

edited 'cause I'm stoopid

Under OS X 10.1.x, there is an option to "Ignore Permissions on this Drive". Get Info on the drive/volume in question and make sure that option is UNCHECKED.

Thanks for all the help but I don´t make any positive progress , and the UNIX stuff is a bit over my capacity ( although i did try it ) .
I think i´ll just leave it and start a new life . . .

Back