I cant login... HELP

LouiCypher

Registered
My son in law happened to get ahold of my powerbook yesterday and has changed my login password. Is there anyway I can get in and change it without wiping the HD?

LouiCypher said:
My son in law happened to get ahold of my powerbook yesterday and has changed my login password. Is there anyway I can get in and change it without wiping the HD?

Yes. If you have the boot CD that came with it (or any recent copy of OSX), insert it, shut down the PB and when you reboot hold down the C key. When the PB CD boots and gives you the installation screen, go to FILE in the task bar at the top. Somewhere in there will be an option to reset your password.

Interesting! This really works? Smells like some security issue to me.
And welcome to the forum, LouiCypher.

Yes, this is a procedure to change your password, but baggss has some inaccuracies. After booting to the OS X install CD, at the first screen, select the Installer menu, and choose Reset Password.
Zammy-Sam, you could call this a security question if you like, but I can't believe you haven't heard of this password reset in over 2 years. You still would need at least disk 1 of the OS X installer CDs to do this.

...if I broke into someone's house, and I brougth an os x install disk with me, I could reset their computer password.

Yes, it's easy to change the log-in password, assuming you know you are grabbing files on a Mac running OS X, and assuming that you (the perpetrator) have an OS X installer CD with you; and, also assuming that is the only protection on the system (no encrypted disk images, or proper use of File-Vault) You can lock up OS X very tightly if you need that level of protection.

I run into this quite often, because customers simply forget their login password (many OS X systems are set to login automatically). Most people aren't really interested in high-complexity, full-on security of their home systems, and get distressed simply because they can't install their new game (or whatever).

In fact, the only time I had to boot from the installation CD/DVD was when I installed panther on my tibook. I never had the need to use it which is probably due to the fantastic system stability of macosx. ;) (Never even needed to repair permissions)
And to be honest, it does scare me! I was under the impression that my system is quite safe with the login password. Looks like I will need to turn on File-Vault.
On the other hand, if one would have an external disc, he/she could as well boot from that drive into other systems and browse the files.. Alright, you guys convinced me to use File-Vault :)

Use a good password. You may have a rock-solid 128 bit encryption program but if you use a short silly password (like the name of your dog) for your key, and someone takes physical possession of your computer with the key on it, then all they have to do is crack that simple password to get to your heavily encrypted data. No data is ever completely secure, just temporarily out of reach.

Even wth the original install dvd(10.6.4) the boot doesnot happen.
I cant pass the lockscreen. All the key combinations do not .
Already thanks for idees

Is that a login window (which also shows your user account name), or is it an actual lock screen, which only shows a padlock, with a blank password block?
The "padlock" screen probably means that you have a firmware password set, which won't allow you to boot to another device.

Did you forget the firmware password?
You can't boot to another device, unless you know that firmware password.
If your Mac is less than about 2 years old, then you can't reset the password yourself. You have to call AppleCare to reset the password.

If your Mac is older than that, how did you happen to forget that password? Is this a used Mac that you recently purchased?

It is the low firmware password which I remembered not to have set (but I probably did)
I tried all the possabilities but it did not work.
I also know the Ram trick, but I am not brave enough. Icenter will do this now.
Getting older is not always an advantage(70)
Thanks

Back