I Have Been Forced To Buy A Pc

Joseph Spiros

Software Engineer
:( I have become a traitor... I am so sorry to all of you... but...

I AHVE BEEN FORCED TO PURCHASE A PC!!!!

I love Apple, and Macintosh, and everything else about it, but for us poor power hungry people, Mac's just dont help... They are too darned expensive for just a "kinda-powerful" system, when PC's are supercheap. Well, until I am rich enuff to get a NICE Mac for my money, or until Apple gets their acts together and allows companies to make clones, I will have to deal with this:

http://www.alienware.com/main/confi...rieveQuote=joseph.spiros@chronosurf.com-58739

Oh well... I'm probally gonna install some Distro on Linux tho... cant stand Windows :(

Please Please Please Please Please tell me how sorry you feel for me :)

Heh, Apple hardware is so expensive, so you went out and bought an alienware machine - typically one of the most expensively priced PCs for their configuration. If you really wanted to save some money, you should have bought another brand - or a non-branded machine. Now that you've saved yourself a couple hundred initially, sorry to tell ya that you're going to more than make up for that in electricity bills powering those overheated chips. My sympathy: see ya.. wouldn't wanna be ya :p

That sure seems like a lot of money for what you are getting. I could put together a very nice Mac for that amount. The only reason to go with a PC over a Mac would have to be for software reasons. If you already own a ton of PC software, then you don't need to replace it if you get a PC. But moving to a Mac would mean aquiring new software. I have a ton of Mac software, so it doesn't cost me anything extra to buy a new Mac.

Still, what do you actually need that much speed for? I have never recommended a top of the line system for anyone who wasn't doing photoshop, 3D rendering or high end mathematics. Most games depend more on the graphics card than the processor these days, and 90% of the apps out there don't get any faster with clock speed (I type just as fast today as I did ten years ago when the top of the line was a 33Mhz system). Even going with a PC, you could get just as much real world power out of a system that cost half as much. That is as much as I paid for my four fastest systems put together.

I know you are not old enough to drive yet, but you may have heard about this before. When buying a new car, you have lost money the moment you drive it off the lot. It is the same with computers... only worse.

yeah and the fact that pc hardware gets old so darn fast dont make it cheaper anyway! you can keep a top of the line G4 a lot longer then top of the line AMD/intel machine. + it saves you alot of trouble. i dont fell sorry for you if you waited for a month or 2 you could save more money and get a real computer good luck with the crashes!
PS.
dont blame it on APPLE
DS.

Why should be feel sorry for you? You really aren't "forced" to buy a PC, you are choosing to. You can buy a good used or reconditioned Mac for the same price, maybe less. And if you already own Mac software, you are going to end up spending more rebuying new PC versions.

Buy you have nothing to warrant pity. WindowsXP isn't horrible. It's OK. It's not OS X, but if I had to use something other than a Mac, a WinXP PC would be my first choice.

I don't think you are looking for pity party at all; I think you are bragging that you have found a machine that you think is cooler looking than a Mac. (And I kind of agree with you too.) I would never sink to the level that I would actually buy a pee-see but your letter is a wake up call to Apple that they need to put the heat on the designers to keep the weaker members of the herd from straying.

I hate when that happen.....But there a PC emulator that you can run Windows on Mac!

www.connectix.com.

I hope I will not be froced to buy PC....But I will if I am froced to.

WHY?!

Because if I don't, I lose job. That would be stuipid thing to do. If I am, I will buy PC emulator for a Mac!

Just pay $150 for Virtual PC. Then when who ever didn't need you to have a PC anymore....Sell it!

Well, I'll admit, I'm not being FORCED to buy a PC, however, for what I do (Photoshop and Lightwave), its cheaper... I mean, I WANT a Mac... I really do, but its so much. I'll also admit that an Alienware machine IS one of the more expensive PC brands out there, but, I'll admit, I think its the closest I can get to a Mac without getting one (cool looks, and when I install Linux, It'll have the same great features as OS X.)

If someone has a way for me to get a nice G4 with basically the same setup as http://www.alienware.com/main/confi...rieveQuote=joseph.spiros@chronosurf.com-58901

please tell me... I would love to hear about it because, if there was a system like it, I would buy it right away.

I'll also admit that I have some PC software I would love to run (namely Lightwave 6 and the game Half Life), and VPC, if you have ever tried it, is the WORST way to go.

Forgive me for saying this but those alein designs are just butt ugly :p

I dont foresee getting a PC for productivity.
I probably would get one as a hobby thing, buy the parts on my own and then load OSes on it. I already have installed disks/CDs for 25 x86 OSes :p

Admiral

Well, I'll admit, I'm not being FORCED to buy a PC, however, for what I do
(Photoshop and Lightwave), its cheaper... I mean, I WANT a Mac... I really
do, but its so much. I'll also admit that an Alienware machine IS one of
the more expensive PC brands out there, but, I'll admit, I think its the
closest I can get to a Mac without getting one (cool looks, and when I
install Linux, It'll have the same great features as OS X.)

I got news for you ;) You aint gonna be able to run those apps in linux, I dont think ;)

Originally posted by Joseph Spiros
Well, I'll admit, I'm not being FORCED to buy a PC, however, for what I do (Photoshop and Lightwave), its cheaper... I mean, I WANT a Mac... I really do, but its so much. I'll also admit that an Alienware machine IS one of the more expensive PC brands out there, but, I'll admit, I think its the closest I can get to a Mac without getting one (cool looks, and when I install Linux, It'll have the same great features as OS X.)

If someone has a way for me to get a nice G4 with basically the same setup as http://www.alienware.com/main/confi...rieveQuote=joseph.spiros@chronosurf.com-58901

please tell me... I would love to hear about it because, if there was a system like it, I would buy it right away.

I'll also admit that I have some PC software I would love to run (namely Lightwave 6 and the game Half Life), and VPC, if you have ever tried it, is the WORST way to go.

1) Linux is nothing like OSX. No linux distro is.
2) you cannot run those apps on linux (PS or Lightwave.
3) You could get a dual 800 g4 stripped (no superdrive, low ram, etc) add ram for cheap) for hardly more than the price of that pc. And the mac will run most of those linux apps, *plus* photoshop and runs Lightwave 7b excellently.
4) reality is, these overpriced pcs are NO better than any other cheapo. The name means nothing. They just build pcs from the same parts you could buy and build yourself.

My college told me to get a Dell laptop; I instead saved up my money and got a TiBook. It is worth it! All those PC laptops running around campus are horrid! Many of my friends are very sad that they got a Windows machine. They are always having trouble, but my computer just keeps working:D .

-JARinteractive

Well, heres what I configured that I could get (note: the items prefixed with *s are items I got myself and will install myself):

733MHz PowerPC G4
128MB SDRAM - 1 DIMM
* 512MB SDRAM - 1 DIMM
40GB Ultra ATA drive
CD-RW drive
* 16x DVD-ROM drive
NVIDIA GeForce3 - 64MB DDR-SDRAM
* LaCie Electron19Blue Monitor
56K internal modem
* SoundBlaster Live! for Macintosh
* SoundBlaster Inspire 5.1 Speaker System
Apple Pro Keyboard - U.S. English
Mac OS - U.S. English
Gigabit Ethernet
Two USB ports
Two FireWire ports
Apple Pro Mouse

Total (without S&H) = $2729.98

I guess that *is* enough for me... However, I was wondering one thing about the new Quicksilver cases:

If you don't get anything for the second drive bay, will they ship you another CD/DVD Bezel that there is nothing behind, or will they ship you a non-movable bezel? If so, where can I get a CD/DVD Bezel?

My question still falls into the area of software. That is a great system, but what about software? If I was buying anything but a Mac (as a replacement for my Mac vs. all the extra systems I currently have that are not Macs) I would be looking at a lot of money to get software for them. Don't get me wrong, I would love for you to get a Mac as much as the next guy, but you should take EVERYTHING into consideration before putting your money on the table. If you already have photoshop and lightwave for PC, find out what it is going to cost to "upgrade" to the Mac versions.

As for your old software (things like office and stuff), you could just run it in VirtualPC. But don't get the version with Windows preinstalled if you already have the Windows install CDs, just get the DOS version. It is far less expensive and you shouldn't have to pay for the OS twice.

I say congrats. pc's are way cheaper and more powerfull if you buy their top of the line AMD cpu's. They play all the games and run so many more apps then the mac. The problem and sad thing is you are forced to use windows for that or linux which i hate. I have a pc and mac and don't use my mac cus the pc does everything i need. Sad, but that's the way it is for me. So I've even thought about selling my mac and in time, buy a faster/more top of the line dual mac then i have now, like a dual G5.

i am into games and news group access. the mac doesn't do either one well. it doesn't have the games I like and it does not have a good news group program. not one. lololol. Also the mac can not play all the avi/mpegs I have, so it's useless there. As I access the news every day and play a game every day or so, the mac for me is pretty much useless. now. if it ran VPC way faster or had native apps that i use on the pc, I'd never touch windows or a pc ever again. but this won't happen for years in my opinion.

if windows runs all yer apps you need and better then mac i say buy a pc. buy a mac if it runs all yer apps you need and runs them good. buy mac over the pc any day. i hate windows, but i love how it has what i need and the cost is sooo cheap compared to Apple.

I hate this how the mac doesn't do what i want/need. cus i don't wanna use windows. but oh well.

I made that mistake, I just invested money in a PC at the recommendation of one of my developer mates, to run various database apps. It has been the worst mistake of my life 8( I have spent the weekend reinstalling, seriously, I am on the 3rd reinstall for this weekend.

I can't use this piece of junk for anything but games, it is a glorified games console. It is totally unreliable and crashes for absolutely no reason. So much so, that I thank god everyday for my apples, they make computing worthwhile.

It is not an economical solution, the mac might cost a tad more, but I get at least 3 hours more work out of it a day. It is more reliable, and I find it much more conducive to a creative environment.

Back