I have final Panther (10.3-7b85)

Safari is really good and much faster on 10.3

But I've noticed that if I open a menu... it stops loading a page...

It was not like this on 10.2 with Safari 1.0

Am I right? Is it 10.3? NO

Is it Safari 1.1? Looks like....

I really hope they fix it... 1.0 works good to me even on 10.3

Well when i insert disk one 7b85 GM it gives me the restart prompt, so i restart and it just loads up as normal. I tryed holding C down and it seams to ignore the disk and load. Could be a dodgy downlaod of write to cd, or the fact that it thinks im not allowed to upgrade from 7b68, i.e. it will only install or work over a retail or full version os 10.2.

Upgrade install works from 7B80 to 7B85. I wonder why, if it's really so that you can't upgrade from 7B68 for example.

Originally posted by Zammy-Sam
well, the reason I was wondering, why 10.3 should be fastest os for the G3 as well, was that as I got everything by now, 10.3 is optimized for G4 and G5 systems. There are things like quartz-extreme I can't use on my G3 machine (because of the graphiccard). So, still: why would it be faster? did anyone test it? Or is it just some kind of assumption that since it's running so fast on G4 machines, it should do so on G3 as well?

Some general optimizations will still help G3 users. I tried 10.3 on a Lombard, and compared to 10.2.6, it was MUCH nicer to use and doesn't 'lag' at all anymore.

Now, with the updated/recompiled video drivers under 10.2.8, you can see most of the performance you would get under 10.3 on a Lombard... but not quite.

Also compiling the kernel with gcc 3.3 gave general improvements to all users.

1 last question, i Burned the rest with Toast and it worked fine and all loaded up great since 7b53....

the point im making is that if toast works with 7b68, then why would it not work with 7b85 GM.?

u didn't understand, pippin.
we r talking about the way to burn 7b85.
it's not bootable if burned with toast.

Right, 3mors, and it's probably the fault of the disk image. Maybe Apple was using something strange in it that Toast doesn't understand (yet). There's talk of a version 6.0.1 of Toast 6, anyway.

as i've already said, it's because of apple protection plan.
some disc images (and also cds) can't be burned/copied with toast. there r some file inside unreadable for toast.
on the web u can find many how-to to skip this protection.

in order to create your personal backup, i mean. ::angel::

hrm...i came upon the same problem when writing the .dmgparts in earlier builds, but figured out how to burn with toast 5. ive burned every single build of panther with toast 5, including 7B80...are you 110% sure it is not possible with 7B85? my burner is incompattible with disc copy, and that would really suck..

any help much appreciated, because im about to burn it, and i wudnt want to waste a disc ;-)

ooh just noticed that toast 6 works in 7B80...is this the first build for it to work?

If it doesn't burn right in Toast, try this spitty27:

Mount the image, then use Toast to burn the volume. It won't be a bit-for-bit copy, but more likely to boot.

Krevinek - when panther still couldnt burn (in early stages) i target disk moded my sisters iBook and burned from there (external burner). one time ( i dont remember which build) i had to load the dmg parts by click on the main one in disc copy (loaded all the parts) and then dragged the volume, or mounted image, onto toast's image section, and it burned fine. hopefully, since B85 isnt in dmgparts, it will work normally like i burned all the rest. time for yom kippur so ill check back with you on monday night/tuesday after school.

Originally posted by iscaro
On new iBooks should be ok... they have a good graphic card!

On old PM G3s... change the G.Card if you can...

If you're suggesting to change the graphics card to take advantage of Quartz Extreme, you're incorrect... a new graphics card (ahem, BETTER graphics card) will help with the UI portion of OS X, but still will not take advantage of Quartz Extreme. You MUST have an AGP-equipped Macintosh with at least 16MB of video RAM to do Quartz Extreme, which are the G4s and G5s exclusively, with the exception of the Yikes! G4s (some 350 and 400MHz machines) and some iBooks.

There are hacks out there to enable Quartz Extreme on pre-AGP Macintoshs, but it's not a wonderfully bug-free way to do it, and sometimes performance actually decreases with this hack enabled.

Yes you were all right, Only disk one needs to be burned in Disc Copy it dont matter about the other 2 as they are not bootable. I hear apple has more internal builds 7b85-c now. :(

Back