iBook Projector image all wrong

Peripatetics

Registered
A friend of mine has an iBook. I am a PC nerd, but recently saw the light and bought an iMac. Love it. However, I'm still on the learning curve, so bear with me.

We used a VGA dongle with the iBook to connect to a digital projector, and when we did, the image on the iBook had to be moved almost off the screen to the right to be visible on the projector image. It is bizarre. I'm guessing there's a simple solution, but I don't know what it is.

When I went to System preferences, there were two displays listed -- one was the projector, which was an Optima, and the other (presumably) was the iBook monitor.

Any quick ideas? Thanks.

You have two options when using an external monitor (or projector) with a laptop:

1) Mirroring: This is where the exact same thing is displayed on both the laptop's display and on the external monitor/projector
2) Extended Desktop: This is where you basically have two monitors that act as one, big monitor. Move a window off of the screen in the correct direction, and it disappears from the internal display and appears on the external display.

This is controlled via the "Displays" pane of the System Preferences. It sounds like you're using "Extended Desktop" mode.

The iBook does not have the Extended Desktop feature. It only supports mirroring.

I am having a similar problem. I Just started using my Mac in the classroom and I discovered that the display changed after I plugged in my computer to the projector. I am fine with the resolution change, but on some websites, I cannot scroll to the bottom of the page while the resolution is changed. The bottom half of pages I project are inaccessible. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Thanks!!!!

You will get closer to the answer if you tell us some more about your Mac, such as processor type and speed, and your OS X version. You can quickly find that information by clicking on your Apple menu, and choosing About This Mac...

I am having a similar problem. I Just started using my Mac in the classroom and I discovered that the display changed after I plugged in my computer to the projector. I am fine with the resolution change, but on some websites, I cannot scroll to the bottom of the page while the resolution is changed. The bottom half of pages I project are inaccessible. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Thanks!!!!

Sounds like the projector image resolution is set to something slightly higher than the height of your (unknown) Mac model's screen.

Try adjusting the resolution in the "Displays" pane of the System Preferences.

Or try Screen Spanning doctor, if you have a Mac that does not natively support Extended Desktop mode. That way, you can have one resolution on the projector, and a different one for the Mac's screen.

Sorry for the lack of information!!! I guess I decided that everyone was psychic and would just know everything about my computer. It's a MacBook. OSX (10.4.11) Processor is 2GHz Inter Core 2 Duo. Memory (if you care) is 2GB.

When I plug it in, the computer automatically goes into 800x600 stretched mode, but it looks normal via the projected image. However, I cannot scroll down to the bottom of the website that I brought the computer in to use!! It's a math website for my students (pearsonsuccessnet.com) and the particular part where I had a problem was on a video segment where it is necessary to keep hitting one of the control buttons to advance (it shows the video in sections and automatically pauses for discussion.)

Thank you again!

Sounds like you have mirroring mode turned on -- in this case, both the projector and the LCD screen will display at the same resolution. Change the resolution of the projector, and the LCD will change resolution, too.

Another option would be to put it into "Extended Desktop" mode, either by pressing function-f7 or changing this option in the Displays pane of the System Preferences. Then, drag the web browser window from your LCD off the side of the screen (as determined in the "Displays" section) and put it on the projector's screen.

Back