Ibook purchase

Sihr

Registered
Hi guys, first post here :p
I've always wanted to buy a laptop, something small that i can take with me everywhere and recently i've been falling in love with the 12'' ibook. Being so close to buy one, i'm just wondering how good of a machine it is.
I've already asked around about software options but my main uses will be:
Internet browsing, video, comics reading and soft gaming (emulators and such) with the occasional programming task (going to college this year) and photoshop edit.

I already have my eyes on some apps to cover all the bases, what i want to know is: having a tight budget, is the ibook a good purchase? I'm a little fed up with the neowin forum mac section guys always saying to wait, the news ones will be bettah! FASTAH!.. you get what i'm saying, right? anyways, i already searched around for windows laptops, but they're quite ugly and i'd really like to try the mac os.

On a last note, i've yet to find one of there.. i'm looking for a photo of an ibook screen with a webpage or document open, to see how readable it is. The only store that sells them near me won't let me play with the little beast :(

Well sorry for the boring long post, and i'm looking forward to replies.
Thanks in advance

i'd have to second what they say. if you can wait a few months (if that), the iBooks (which are basically based on technology about 4 years old) will be replaced with really fast new ones.

if you can wait, i woulsd say do so.

if not, then get an ibook, you will not be dissapointed. i have one and it;s lovely.

I figure the Intel iBook most likely will be released before the end of summer. I know if I were in charge I would want a good supply of Intel iBooks on the shelves before the traditional "back to school" shopping season.

The iBook's a great computer, and if you need one now and are on a budget, the 12" model certainly is the way to go. It gives you what you need now. Certainly works for the tasks you mentioned (you're talking _watching_ videos, not highend video editing, right?). I'd look around for the best RAM prices, though. You'll want more than 512 MB RAM in your iBook. 768, 1024 matters less. But 512 MB is soon inadequate.

I picked up a 12 inch iBook about 3 months ago. Love it. Needed it for writing since carrying the Dell was back breaking.

If you want an inexpensive iBook I'd buy now. i would imagine the intel version will be a bit pricier, just look at MBP prices.

if you don't care about having intel inside, no point in waiting.

fryke said:
The iBook's a great computer, and if you need one now and are on a budget, the 12" model certainly is the way to go. It gives you what you need now. Certainly works for the tasks you mentioned (you're talking _watching_ videos, not highend video editing, right?). I'd look around for the best RAM prices, though. You'll want more than 512 MB RAM in your iBook. 768, 1024 matters less. But 512 MB is soon inadequate.

actually, yes fryke, you have a point. my 4 year old ibook 12" is fantastic. exactly what i need it for, does everything an every day computer should.

Certainly if you are looking for a new computer for fall, and not in dire need right now, I would wait as well. Not that their is anything wrong with the current iBook line, nor will it be useless within a short time. Logically, the iBook is the next model to get the new intel processors.
Overall, you will be pleased with the iBook, which ever model you purchase.

That's the major issue with my decision, i'd gladly wait for the new intel ones, but i don't really want to spend much more than 1100€ for a laptop, and i also wanted to buy a wireless router and a few goodies for it

Either way, in my opinion, you are going to get a sweet computer. I purchased my PB shortly after Apple announced the transition. Its not like your iBook will be unsupported the minute the intel iBooks are released.
If you're not the type that needs the latest and greatest, then go for the purchase now. You'll still getting a sweet computer that will be loyal for several years to come.
All I can say is this. I went to the local Apple store here in Albany NY. I played with the new MacBook Pro. It is a sweet computer, that is slightly faster than mine, from what I can tell by just using it in the store.
After the intel transition was announced, I knew I needed a new system, and did not hesitate to purchase a G4 PB. I know Apple and others are going to support the PPC processor within the life-time of this computer, and it meets all my needs. Personality, I am not running out the door to get a intel Mac, I am still pleased with the performance of this Mac.
The bottom line is this. If you need a computer today, get it today. If you can wait, then wait. Don't let the intel vs PPC thing rule your decision making. In my opinion.

I am in almost the exact same position as you are. I have wanted an Apple and a laptop for years and now that I am graduating college I want to get one for a "congratulations" to myself.

The difference in my position is that I will most likely use this as my main computer only for a year (Dental school's have requirements for laptops---usually Windows).

So, while I would still use it some, it wouldn't be used as often after the first year. I was going to get a Powerbook, but then I looked at the new MBP... but after reading some of the problems people have I am weary. (That and the $$)

I'm thinking about going for the G4 powerbook unless the new ones come out before the end of the month.

Of course you could wait until the end of 2007 for those features in Vista, then again there is no guarantee. LOL:confused:

I love my 12 in G4 iBook and I am looking forward to loving my Core Duo 13.3 when I eventually get one (it is in the cards).

But I am wary of adopting early. I would rather let Northmendo and Major Burns beta test the first gen of Intel powered iBooks. I'll wait for the second or third rev (figuring Sept 06).

So - if you like beta testing, wait a month. I'm sure it will be a fun ride. If you need the computer to do the things you described in the beginning, the iBook is a proven champion and it won't let you down. Get the RAM up around a gig and the 'book will do what you say you need.

Re the readability of the 12 inch - no worries. if (like me) you have trouble reading the fine print of a website now and then, option command [ will give you several steps of zoom to be able to see that smaller type.

pds, i'm not sure who you're really responding to...

But knowing that the new "Macbook" will probably have issues like the Pros do, do you think I should just get one of the G4 iBooks? Especially since it won't be my main computer for an extremely long time?

Of course, this is assuming that when I have gotten the money, they still have them for sale!

pds said:
I love my 12 in G4 iBook and I am looking forward to loving my Core Duo 13.3 when I eventually get one (it is in the cards).

But I am wary of adopting early. I would rather let Northmendo and Major Burns beta test the first gen of Intel powered iBooks. I'll wait for the second or third rev (figuring Sept 06).

i'm not in the market for any type of ibook any more... i have a 4 year old one... and that went wrong ¬_¬.

plus my PowerMac is a rev c machine, that's hardly beta testing ......

I was responding to sihr directly. He could wait and get the first run of the iBook replacement, taking a chance on it, or he could get a tried and true G4 now.

In your case - really tough choice, since you need the windows machine. If you need something now and have to get something else in Sept - you might think iBook now, macBook in Sept (when it's had it's kinks ironed out).

Major - I invoked a literary license, nothing personal. :D

I have two old (second hand) G3 12" iBooks. All I've had to do is buy new batteries. So they cost me only a few hundred dollars each (about 300GBP - I'm in the UK). One is a 500MHz model that my son uses occasionally. The other is a 600MHz that can play DVDs, burn CDs, browse the web, handle email and let me write books. That's all I need while I'm away from home so it suits me well. I won't be "upgrading" for a long time. If it fails, I'll be back to eBay for another!

Back