iBook screen changes

nervus

fencer
Recently I noticed a change in the behaviour of my 2 year old iBook. The screen blackens out if I touch or tap on the left hand lower corner of the laptop. I suspect a break in the MB since this is just near the VGA-connection (for an extra monitor).
Is this something that can be repaired or will I have to wait until it collapses completely (and buy another one)? :(

Court Marshall Captain Obvious. :D

Go quickly to the repair center. There are two levels of the problem and they seem related. One is the fraying of the video cable and the other is the video chip itself. If the board has to be replaced, unload the thing right after it's fixed. People who have had to change their boards have had to do it three and four times.

Hope you have Applecare.

If the board has to be replaced, unload the thing right after it's fixed.
Could you explain what you mean? Should I let the laptop after repair be without battery for a while?

I only have Applecare for my G5 :(

No.

unload = dump; sell; shyster it off to some unsuspecting fool, hopefully just before you move and leave no forwarding address.

bummer

pds said:
No.

unload = dump; sell; shyster it off to some unsuspecting fool, hopefully just before you move and leave no forwarding address.

bummer

Ahh, I see. :D Probably I will donate it to one of my kids.
Do the powerbooks have this kind of flaws? :cool:

nervus said:
Ahh, I see. :D Probably I will donate it to one of my kids.
Do the powerbooks have this kind of flaws? :cool:

Nope. I have the first generation Powerbook Titanium 400 MHz. I have been through numerous airports and tropical climates and it's been rock steady all along (except the dreaded Titanium paint scratches).

Reportedly the g4 ibooks have solved the cable problem, but I don't have one and none of them are 13 months old yet...

So is it safe to assume that G3 iBooks from 2003 will have the same issue? Or too early to tell yet?

Just noticed that in my case it is just the powercable for the display backlight :rolleyes:
I think I will attack this one myself... <searching for tools>

I was looking at the G4 iBook and its form is the same as the G3 with the exception of the slot-loading cd. I wonder if the board will fit in the G3 case. Reportedly the G4 board was redesigned and is better than the old one, though the cables will be the same.

That would be the sensible solution to board problems if it works.

Back