If you want 10.1 spoiled for you, read this!

What Darwin kernel is 10.1 going to be running?
10.0.4 has 1.3.7.

To get your kernel's version, type 'uname -r' at a console. I wonder if Apple made special kernels just for those macworld previews laying arround.

As for Carracho, I must admit, I felt like I was lowering my self down to the level of my 3d studio max-stealing pc 'friends' when I downloaded Adobe Premier 6 last night (for os 9).

Of course, carracho does have other uses. Like distributing unknown utilities for mac os, and unknown band's music (with their permission).

So, I know stealing software is illegal and wrong. So if I do it, that makes me an immoral person. (Immoral people are people that believe one thing to be moral and then do another.) Man, I'm quite the hypocrite today.

Oh well, time to delete premier (I don't understand how to use it anyway)

Cheers, and please excuse me for once again writing a small book on a message board...

I've been wrestling with a question in my mind over the past two days:

If I paid for OS X, full price, and am going to get the 10.1 update anyway, does it really matter if I download a build off carracho?

I know that I'm not supposed to have possesion of one, but what does it hurt? If I signed up for the seeding program, I would get them same thing, free of charge, therefore, I'm not stealing money from Apple. I'm not using the build as a platform for mac-bashing, just because the update is unfinished and buggy. So, what am I doing wrong? I can't help but feel guilty. This isn't a retorical question. What do you guys feel that the pros and cons of leaked builds are?

I keep thinking to myself, well. it must be bad that everyone knows about these builds, but really, what bad has come of this public knowlege and testing?

powermacuser,

Word is that 9.2 includes many optimizations for OS X, and some sites have reported boot times of 20 seconds. I would like to think that a step forward, not a step back.

Originally posted by Matrix Agent:
If I signed up for the seeding program, I would get them same thing, free of charge, therefore, I'm not stealing money from Apple.

Not realy. Apple will ONLY seed OS builds to Premier developers (and I think one other), and that membership is not free.

P.S: Could anyone open their 10.1 AirPort Assistant and tell me the options? Thanks.:)

Sorry to change the subject guys but i want to respond to Zaven. I don't make anybody read my posts, and when you do it's your own choice. Please don't call me unknowledgeable, naive, or anything you must say for somthing you did to yourself. I was excited when i finally recieved 10.1 after all that hard work. It really did go faster, it suprised me.
<br>
<br>
When i did talk about Carracho or Hotline, it was to answer people's questions. How was I not reflecting the entire story? I said what i thought was good and new, and i said what i thought was bad. Anybody can call anyone a dirty ass politician like yourself, but lets try and keep it on a Mac-OS-X-level. Not our lower level PC counterparts. We are better then them. ;)This is a Mac OS X forum for everybody and especially not to put other people, ideas, or opinions down.

-whitesaint

Is 10.1 as fast as 9.1 or does it even come close? Maybee it felt so fast because it was so damn slow before. I hope it will be a lot faster because 10.0.4 on my Power Book 500MHz G3 (firewire) is really really slow compared to 9.1.

First of all, Zaven, you need to chill out. It is people like whitesaint that make apple great. My guess is the guys who are serfing carracho for leaked builds are the same ones who fly from Seattle to go to the opening of apples stores in Glendale and Plano.

I HAVE downloaded ALL 3 of the leaked builds of 10.1. And in no way do I concider this piracy. Why you ask? Ill tell you. Because I PAID for os x. Apple has already said that the 10.1 update will NOT be a paid update. So there for, I am justified in downloading it. Now I have not had the same amount fo success with it that whitesaint seems to, and I am not useing it on a production system.

Here is my point. Downloading the unreleased leaked builds does not in any way degrade the mac experiance. As a matter of fact it shows just how enthusiastic mac users are about their platform.

So in closing... Zaven, get over your self.

I keep thinking to myself, well. it must be bad that everyone knows about these builds, but really, what bad has come of this public knowlege and testing?

from http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-6804697.html :
information is generally no longer considered a trade secret once it is made public, even if the disclosure was not authorized

So when MS rips off Apple (again) with no fear of legal action, we'll know who to thank.

Originally posted by zerorex
First of all, Zaven, you need to chill out. It is people like whitesaint that make apple great. My guess is the guys who are serfing carracho for leaked builds are the same ones who fly from Seattle to go to the opening of apples stores in Glendale and Plano.

I HAVE downloaded ALL 3 of the leaked builds of 10.1. And in no way do I concider this piracy. Why you ask? Ill tell you. Because I PAID for os x. Apple has already said that the 10.1 update will NOT be a paid update. So there for, I am justified in downloading it. Now I have not had the same amount fo success with it that whitesaint seems to, and I am not useing it on a production system.

Here is my point. Downloading the unreleased leaked builds does not in any way degrade the mac experiance. As a matter of fact it shows just how enthusiastic mac users are about their platform.

1 - Downloading an unreleased leaked build DOES degrade the Mac experience. Just search these message boards and you'll find NUMEROUS posts of people complaining about these same unreleased leaked builds and how they don't work as they'd like, or that they don't include a certain feature that we expect the final version to, etc. Frankly, I don't want to read threads about unreleased products. Let's wait until the final version AND THEN start the bitching and moaning that's sure to ensue (one can't possibly please all of the people all of the time--and Apple is no exception).

2 - I clearly remember whitesaint being the person who purchased OS X, was unsatisfied, returned it for a full refund, and kept it installed on his machine while he posted numerous messages to this board complaining, inquiring about how to obtain classic, etc. So unless he's since purchased OS X, your arguments do not apply to his case.

-Ali

Originally posted by avalenz

1 - Downloading an unreleased leaked build DOES degrade the Mac experience. Just search these message boards and you'll find NUMEROUS posts of people complaining about these same unreleased leaked builds and how they don't work as they'd like, or that they don't include a certain feature that we expect the final version to, etc. Frankly, I don't want to read threads about unreleased products. Let's wait until the final version AND THEN start the bitching and moaning that's sure to ensue (one can't possibly please all of the people all of the time--and Apple is no exception).

-Ali

Just search these message boards and you'll find NUMEROUS posts of people complaining about FINAL releases and how they don't work as well as they'd like, or that they don'y include a feature that they expected the final version to ...etc
So, what exactly was your point there? All I got out of that was that you are a closed minded d1psh1t. If you don't want to read threads about leaked builds then DON"T FUCKING READ THEM! People come to this board to discuss various topics in and around pertaining to OS X. Some of us find information on leaked builds useful and informative, myself being one of them.

What may sound like bitching and whining to you, sounds like a creative mac user announcing a found problem/instance/bug what have you, and asking other creative mac users (et al) for opinions and possible work arounds. If YOU have a problem with MY ethics, this forum does NOT become your personal soapbox to JUDGE ME.

And for the record,..The last OS I bought was 7.5. And this is the 5th build of X iv'e toyed with.:eek:

Just search these message boards and you'll find NUMEROUS posts of people complaining about FINAL releases

irrelevant. people have the right to posess and discuss final releases.

Some of us find information on leaked builds useful and informative, myself being one of them.

So do Apple's competitors.

What may sound like bitching and whining to you, sounds like a creative mac user announcing a found problem/instance/bug what have you, and asking other creative mac users (et al) for opinions and possible work arounds.

And how many actually get one?

If YOU have a problem with MY ethics, this forum does NOT become your personal soapbox to JUDGE ME.

And for the record,..The last OS I bought was 7.5. And this is the 5th build of X iv'e toyed with.

No judgement necessary - you're a thief; you just said so yourself.

You're correct in saying that worker bee damaged apple by leaking information. The information he leaked was being specifically kept secret in order to gain an edge on the rest of the industry.

The leaked builds that are being used right now are no secret though. Apple has demonstrated them, has given out press releases, and even has a web page on 10.1. The same can be said for 10.0 with the 4K87 builds and the like. People already know what the features are, and so does the press and apple's competitors. It would be foolish to think that microsoft and other competitors are learning much from these leaked builds. Their own insiders could problably tell them more. I'm still searching for a negative effect. But "worker bee" is a valid point.

To all the complainers: People have a right to complain about what they BUY.

Originally posted by endian

irrelevant. people have the right to posess and discuss final releases.

Who made you loss prevention officer?

So do Apple's competitors.
[/B]

Get real. said competitors have better ways to steal technology from apple then downloading a leaked build off hotline. I'm sure microsoft right now has at least a 5g build in its possesion for development purposes.
And how many actually get one?
[/B]
what am I, a mind reader? Who knows? I certiantly have helped other whiners when they have asked for help. And I have also been helped by other user s when I post a question. Are you too good to help people?

No judgement necessary - you're a thief; you just said so yourself.
[/B]

I prefer beta tester thank you. But you can call me pirate if you like. Thief is a bit harsh. Can I call you a fascist? Didn't think so.

The issue isn't having the information. The issue is being able to use it without being subject to an ironclad Apple suit saying 'such and such illegally misappropriated confidential Apple information blah blah blah'

Are you too good to help people?
I help people who aren't beyond help. People who bitch that an OS 2 months away from release doesn't work perfectly are clearly beyond help.

I prefer beta tester thank you.

You aren't a beta tester, no more than someone squatting in someone else's house while they're away is a housesitter.

Hey - it's really simple. What you guys are doing by downloading unreleased versions is ILLEGAL. Simple. People can lose their jobs over it. People can be fined and put in jail for it.

You have *no right* to download the software and to discuss it in public forums. If Apple feels it is not in their company's best interest to allow public downloads, then *they have that right*. Do you think you know better than them as to how to run a business? If so, lets see your business plan. You can disagree all you want, but it's not your company, and not your Intellectual Property to be making those kinds of decisions.

Yeah, people do illegal things all the time. It is hard to stop. But you can't blame Apple for doing what they believe is right by trying to stop it and publicly admonishing it. If you want to do something illegal and talk about it in public, the fine. But fess up to the fact that what you are doing is *illegal*. Otherwise post your real names and addresses and be willing to live with the consequences. Otherwise, just don't try to hide behind some silly childish denial and self-rightous bullshit. You are thieves, plain and simple, and you hurt Apple just by making them have to spend time and energy to pursue the likes of you.

Originally posted by tenhead
Hey - it's really simple. What you guys are doing by downloading unreleased versions is ILLEGAL. Simple. People can lose their jobs over it. People can be fined and put in jail for it.

You have *no right* to download the software and to discuss it in public forums. If Apple feels it is not in their company's best interest to allow public downloads, then *they have that right*. Do you think you know better than them as to how to run a business? If so, lets see your business plan. You can disagree all you want, but it's not your company, and not your Intellectual Property to be making those kinds of decisions.

Yeah, people do illegal things all the time. It is hard to stop. But you can't blame Apple for doing what they believe is right by trying to stop it and publicly admonishing it. If you want to do something illegal and talk about it in public, the fine. But fess up to the fact that what you are doing is *illegal*. Otherwise post your real names and addresses and be willing to live with the consequences. Otherwise, just don't try to hide behind some silly childish denial and self-rightous bullshit. You are thieves, plain and simple, and you hurt Apple just by making them have to spend time and energy to pursue the likes of you.

AMEN!!

Lets not rationalize this.
If you know something is illegal, and you do it anyway, you are a hypocrite and an immoral person. And don't argue that downloading unauthorized builds isn't illegal. If you purchased 10.0, and you buy 10.1, thats cool. And downloading the build may be justified for YOU, but like tenhead said, it can be damaging to other people.

We all love apple, and unless you think what you are doing helps apple and is the correct, justified thing to do, stop.

Things are not half right. They are wrong or right. The laws of morality are black and white. Not apple-rainbow-ish.

Summary:

1. Downloading builds is illegal

2. You cannot complain about somthing that haven't bought or shouldn't have

3. We dont need confrontation on the boards, make your point clearly and respectably

4. We'll all have 10.1 in september so why dont we cool of until then

anyone else want to add something?

I for one admit that I have learned something from this thread, and have consequently deleted my builds.

Back