iMac G4 CPU upgrades?

theCaptain

Member that enjoys Meece
I would kill for a cpu upgrade for my iMac G4 800, maybe a 1.2 or 1.4ghz G4 from Sonnet or Powerlogix. Is anyone else in my position? Im pretty sure the CPU is upgradeble after seeing some shots of the iMac G4 motherboard on xlr8yourmac; so it seems as if theoretically it could be feasible. Also if they can make Cube upgrades for up to 1.2 ghz their is no reason why the same couldnt be done on the iMac, or so at least one would think, heat issues I imagine are pretty similar. A 1.2/1.4 ghz G4 iMac with a gig or so of ram would be a damn fine machine, as I am deffinatly starting to feel that 800mhz ceiling.

Captain, let me know if you find anything. I have the very same computer. You would do well to upgrade your ram up to 1GB…makes things go faster, definitely.

No flat-panel iMac CPU upgrades exist, nor have I heard anything about any in the works.

I wasn't aware that the flat-panel iMac came with a removable processor. I suppose, technically, all processors are removable, but I do know for sure that no flat-panel iMac CPU upgrades exist.

I don't know if going from 768MB of RAM to 1GB would provide that much of a performance increase, but if you've got the money, it's worth a try.

theCaptain said:
Im pretty sure the CPU is upgradeble after seeing some shots of the iMac G4 motherboard on xlr8yourmac; so it seems as if theoretically it could be feasible.

The only removable piece around the processor that I am aware of, is actually just the heat-sink/pipe. That won't get you an upgrade processor, and might damage the logic board by removing it.

That kinda sucks, guess thats the price I pay for buying an iMac, although the machine has been great and has never given me any problems, just wish it had a little more juice in it.

upgrades exist for the imac G3's so its only a matter of time before they exist for the imac G4 lcd. so many people have the imac G4 that it would be a crazy for the upgrade companies to ignore this market. if upgrades were released now though they would not sell very well. two years or so needs to go by from the time a system is new for upgrades to sell much.

sorta the same idea as the new ati radeon 9200 pci. so many people still use older macs and want decent video cards for them so ati saw a huge market and went for it. the 9200 pci has been out for about 3-4 weeks and the stores can't even keep them on the shelf. other world computing has waiting lists for them.

there will be upgrades I promise you. hold out for another year or so and they will be out. my advice is to go sonnet if they offer one. their upgrades are very easy to install and are very very stable.

Back