iMac G5 super drive problems

WeeZer51402

Registered
Hey everyone,
Just a question, my drive on my iMac G5 is very very load and is consistent thoug it works. I did try to use the apple install cds(because apple claims that they are balanced well) but that was no use. It does it with anything I insert. Is this a known problem, and if so do you think I have a chance of apple replacing even though its out of waranty, I'm going to call them tomorrow so we'll see what they say. Any suggestions in the mean time?

Umm, I didnt get your question... you say your drive is very very 'load'? Can you please re-phrase your question?

How would your iMac G5 be out of warranty already? It has been sold only since September 2004, and you have 12 months initial warranty?? You can call Apple after the first 90 days, as it sounds like a hardware defect.

Can you try adjusting the angle of the machine while a CD or DVD is in the drive, to see if it's the odd angle the CD/DVD drive sits at making the noise?

Also, can you describe the noise, or even possibly record it and post it here? CD/DVD drives aren't known for being quiet little things -- it's perfectly normal to hear a spinning or whirring noise when there's a disk in the drive. Plus, since the iMac G5's CD/DVD drive isn't oriented horizontally or vertically because of the angle of the machine, it may make more noise than other CD/DVD drives. Perhaps the iMac G5 itself is so quiet that the drive just sounds really loud, when it's really just acting normal?

Back