iMac Memory is so confusing.

lazicsavo

Registered
Ok, I have a G4 1.25 GHz, 17'-Display iMac with 256MB RAM, and I want to upgrade it to 1GB, after a week of research I found these RAM, please tell me if they will work with my iMac.

iMac requries two different types for memory for each slot, so one chip for one slot.

Corsair 512MB PC2700 SODIMM 333MHz Memory (200 Pins)

Corsair 512MB PC3200 DDR DIMM 400MHz (184 Pins)

Now are there any other specifications for iMac that I should look out for in my RAM or are the ones above fine. Damn, iMacs can be frustrating, simplicity my ass :D.

Roland

The first one is the memory that is user accessible

PC2700 200-pin SO-DIMM

There is a little application out there that can help with this and other issues called MacTracker, it has the system info on every Apple product. The real challenge is those tiny screws in the base of the iMac, if you are thinking of doing AirPort Extreme or BlueTooth, do it now while you have the base off.

Both memory chips can be PC2700. One is a DDR SDRAM DIMM (the factory installed chip) and the other is a DDR SO-DIMM (in the accessible slot). They can be faster, so the PC3200 will work great.
Not many techs would tell you that Macs are simple to upgrade, although some models are very easy, others, such as your iMac is tricky. The newer iMac G5, by comparison, takes two minutes for the upgrade that you are talking about. On yours, expect about half an hour. Cleaning and replacing the heat sink compound probably takes the most time (this must be done on this model)

Another question, I understand what SO-DIMM is but what is the difference between DDR and DDR-DIMM and is it something I should look out for?

DDR is "double-" or "dual-data rate." DIMM is "Dual-" or "Double-Inline Memory Module." They're two different things.

A DDR module is probably a DIMM, but a DIMM isn't necessarily DDR.

Back