imac osx cd dvd driver problem

djaambi

Registered
I have an Imac that will not eject cd or dvd. At the top of the screen is an eject icon that when pressed says NO DRIVER. Can anyone offer any advice?

Djaambi

What model of iMac? What version of Mac OS X? Is the CD/DVD drive the original drive that came with the computer or an aftermarket drive?

Please elaborate, as there have been many different models of iMac over the 10 years the iMac has been in existence.

Does the drop-down from the eject icon actually read "NO DRIVER", or does it read "NO DRIVE" ?
There's a big difference with only one letter.

1. What happens if you hold down the eject key on the keyboard (or hold down F12 for a few seconds)?

2. Has anything been done to the iMac in terms of upgrades?

3. Has the eject function you're trying to use EVER worked in the past?

Please answer all questions asked of you, as well as post your iMac specs here in this thread. There are three questions in my reply here, so three answers are needed from you. Emailing me the specs of your iMac does nothing to help other forum users out in answering your questions -- post them here instead.

Hi,

Yes the drive is the original drive. The computer is an IMAC POWERPC G4 with a 1.25 GHz, its has an operating system that is 10.4.11.

thanks

Nothing happens when I do that, when I go to the system profiler and click on disc burning I get the following message "No burning device was found. If you are using an external device please make sure that it is connected and powered properly."

It sounds as though the CD/DVD drive may be broken and/or malfunctioning.

Do this and report back with the results: restart your computer, and immediately hold down the mouse button. Hold it down until one of two things happens:

1) The CD/DVD drive ejects
2) The Mac OS X login screen or your desktop appears.

If 1 happens, then the CD/DVD drive is probably not broken and there's something amiss with Mac OS X in terms of not recognizing it anymore.

If 2 happens, then there's probably something wrong physically with the CD/DVD drive.

That would mean that you have 'no drives', or your Mac does not see the one that you may have. You may need to replace your CD drive.

No, you misunderstand. I think your drive is bad, meaning the device needs to be replaced. That means that your iMac needs to be repaired. This is not a software problem where a driver (the software that supports your drive hardware) can simply be reloaded.

1. What happens if you hold down the eject key on the keyboard (or hold down F12 for a few seconds)?

Nothing happens I end up back at the desktop

2. Has anything been done to the iMac in terms of upgrades?

No upgrades have been done to the iMac, the computer is only used for writing and sometimes games

3. Has the eject function you're trying to use EVER worked in the past?

No it has been like it for awhile and I have just kept on using it as I live in a remote area and getting access to MAC technicians is hard.

The specs of my computer are iMAC OSX, 1.25 GHz, 768 MB DDR SDRAM, POWER PC G4, syst 10.4.11

thanks for your help and advice

Yep, I gotta agree with DeltaMac -- it sounds like the CD/DVD drive itself (not the "driver," but the actual drive itself) is damaged somehow.

I believe the "lampshade" iMacs' drives were standard 5.25" CD/DVD drives, so obtaining a new one under $50 should be do-able. I recommend a Pioneer DVR-106/107/110/111 model would be good, as they're compatible with OS X and are "seen" by the system as standard SuperDrives. Getting into the machine to replace it may be a bit harrowing, though... here's some discussion on replacing a drive in the lampshade-style iMacs:

http://forums.dealmac.com/read.php?4,2565294,2565294

Apple, at one point, admitted problems with some of the drives in that model of machine, but I think it was only with the 800MHz model. It may be worth the time investigating that, though, as a free replacement always beats a paid-for replacement.

Back