iMovie 3.0.3

If you have DiVX (5.06) installed, and try to import audio in to iMovie, it will consistenly crash. I found out the hard way...

Otherwise, it's a great update. Performance seems quite snappy compared to previous versions, and the on/off switch for the Ken Burns effect is much appreciated.

Noticed that there was a Classic vers of iMovie in the iMovie package in vers 3.02, Installing 3.03 deleted that Classic app?? Anyway, it's gone. Have no idea why the old vers was still in there, but maybe this prevents access to iMovie when booted to OS 9 (not Classic mode)

I run a lab of Macs. and my concentration is iMovie with college level students. Despite Apple's claims of the superiority of iMovie 3, I am regressing my lab back to ver. 2. I spent nearly the whole semester dealing with simple and dumb issues that ver. 3 had that 2 did not. Some of these are synching when exporting (aware of the 12 vs 16 bit issue) Ken Burns effect (who came up with that... allow the user to shut it off), poorly rendering text, pictures that were fine in Photoshop® are course in iMovie. Any insight to convince me not to regress?!? Thanks

I run a lab of Macs. and my concentration is iMovie with college level students. Despite Apple's claims of the superiority of iMovie 3, I am regressing my lab back to ver. 2. I spent nearly the whole semester dealing with simple and dumb issues that ver. 3 had that 2 did not. Some of these are synching when exporting (aware of the 12 vs 16 bit issue)

Upgrading to QT 6.3 and iMovie 3.03 is supposed to fix audio syncing issues...

Ken Burns effect (who came up with that... allow the user to shut it off)

iMovie 3.03 has an on/off switch for the Ken Burns effect. Big improvement.

poorly rendering text, pictures that were fine in Photoshop® are course in iMovie.

Every version of iMovie I've ever used has rendered text poorly. In this regard, I see no difference in v. 2 & 3. Usually when viewed on a TV the text looks much better than it does on the computer in a QT movie....

As for Photoshop pics being coarse (not course), I have no problems so long as they jpgs in the correct resolution. Keep in mind, if you are applying the Ken Burns effect to them, you will want the image to be larger than the 720x480 output size if you going to be zooming in/out.

This is a question that has bugged me for quite some time...

Who exactly is Ken Burns and where should I know him from?
I'm assuming since it's named after him he should have some public recognition.

Whoops... sorry for the type-o

I will need to give the update (v3.0.3) a whirl. I have it on one machine currently. I guess I was sorely disappointed in the accuracy of iMovie 3 in the begining. I have the updates mentioned... I usually have updates in general within hours of them being released. Once in awhile, I get stung... updating too soon. (iMovie 3 being one of those times) Again, thanks for the quick response.

Have they allowed computers with resolutions as low as 800x600 run the program yet? That's the only thing stopping me from upgrading.

Supposedly iMovie 3.03 gives a boost to performance especially for G3 based Macs! Also, at last, you can specify your project if it is going to be PAL or NTSC! No more iMovieVSS for me... :rolleyes: :p :D

;)

:)

mac_vs_pc: Do what you will.

The Ken Burns effect is named after George Lucas—oh sorry, I mean Ken Burns—who is famous for doing pans & zooms across still images in documentaries. It's a new feature that you can do in iMovie, though it's not necessarily useful.

BTW: George Lucas is from Modesto, CA, which is where I live. Woot!

I upgraded to 3.03 but still i get a problem with moving the time line slider. As i move the slider to advance the movie, the whole application window moves as well. Anyone else have this???

Ken Burns is awesome, his namesake iMovie effect is not. If you want to do these types of pans with far more smoothness, options and power, Get "Photo to Movie" - http://lqgraphics.com/software/phototomovie.html

Gee, when I bought it, it was only $10! Now it is $29.95. Still, not a bad price for a program that does what it is supposed to perfectly. Apple really should have just paid these guys to include this in iMovie - they did it really well.

If you don't know much about Ken Burns, you should probably see his Civil War series (rent it from your local library). Even if you are not a Civil War buff (I'm not) it is an awesome and powerful film. Though not his first documentary, it is his most famous (his brother also worked with him on almost his films). Any way, Ken is known for historical documentaries on American history. His films are known for their use of still pictures and narration - this style has been copied by a million lesser documentaries on The History, Discovery... channel, but when you see the real thing, it is so much better.

P.S. The whole reason I came to this post is my sister in law (who I convinced to switch from a PC to a Mac and ended up loving her Mac) is now having problems where iMovie is crashing as soon as it starts up. I did a search and found nothing on it here. She has done the following with no luck:

Downloaded the latest version of iMovie
Downloaded the latest Mac OS
Downloaded the latest QuickTime
Repaired Permissions
Checked for third-party iMovie Plug-ins (none)

She has an 800 mhz iMac G4. I had the same kind of problem with iPhoto and repairing permissions did the trick. Any ideas or help is appreciated.

KKBFiredancer: Make sure you're not encoding in MP4! It's highest res is 320x200.

Use expert settings to get the highest resolution. Which setting exactly, I can't remember. I had to tinker with it a bit (iMovie 3). I think it is "complete movie", but I don't remember.

------------------

Karavite: Go to the Library/Preferences folder under your sister's home folder (/Users/username/Library/Preferences) and delete the preferences files for iMovie.

AT YOUR OWN RISK, of course. These are the files that hold your user preferences for the application. When you delete it, iMovie will create a new one from scratch. This helps in a lot of cases where an app crashes on startup.

Back