Importing pics NOT taken with but stored in iPhone

darkew

Registered
Hi everyone,

In my iPhone 3G, I have synced 700MB of photos from my PC.

How can I copy these to my MacBook?

In Windows, whenever I plug in my iPhone, Windows asks me if I want to transfer pics. I can even access the iPhone's folders directly through My Computer.

How can I do that on a Mac?

Thanks!

You do it the same way -- with iTunes...

...but an iPhone can only be synced with one computer at a time. I do not know of a way of accessing the iPhone as a drive (like you can certain iPods), which would be one of the only ways to get those photos off the phone and onto your Mac. Perhaps someone who does know of a utility to do so can chime in here.

Hi Charlie, Eldiablo.

Nono, iTunes and iPhoto WILL NOT let me sync the photos NOT TAKEN with the iPhone's camera. I can only sync those taken with the gadget. The other photos stored in the camera roll - not accessible.

This is ridiculous - how come Windows can import pictures from the Apple gadget so easily and I can't do the same on a Mac, and must rely on third party utilities? I thought the Mac was supposed to make life easier, and these are both apple products :p

Thanks for replying guys.

I suspect this has nothing to do with Windows vs. Mac, and has everything to do with which computer your iPhone is synced with.

If your iPhone is synced to your Mac, then you can easily add and remove photos from the device, just as you would on Windows. The problem is that your iPhone is synced to your Windows machine (and an iPhone/iPod can only be synced with one computer at a time), and therefore the Mac has no access to the iPhone to send/receive photos to/from it.

If you have a few photos to transfer - Email them :)

I'm not 100% on the problem as I would normally use SSH to transfer any files from my iPhone.

I hope this helps.

Charlie

View the attachment, those two images were saved from the net.

Charlie

(Yes 68ºC is hot! It's down to 50ºC now. I've blurred out inappropriate stuff e.t.c. and yes everything in the dock is legit. :D)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-11-15 at 14.56.58.jpg
    Screen shot 2009-11-15 at 14.56.58.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 10
Hi Charlie,

I'll try to clarify :) I'm looking for an easy way to transfer all the pictures from the iPhone.

On the Mac native software, I can only transfer pictures taken with the iPhone's camera.

I have other pictures stored there. The reason I ask is, whenever I plug my iPhone into my PC/Windows, it automatically understands the iPhone is also a camera and a window pops up asking me if I want to download pictures or videos from the device. It also shows up on "My Computer" as a drive, so I can go there and manipulate the files.

On the Mac, none of this happens. I know I can email, use SSH, burn a disc in Windows or whatever - I'm just trying ot figure how to do it quick and easy on a Mac.

At this point, I think the answer is: not possible (unless maybe I buy some third party application).

Thanks anyway! :)

Back