Install Leopard from DMG file..

drbabbers

Registered
Sorry to ask about this.. I have done some Googling but not managed to find a definitive solution that actually works for me. I have acquired a DMG of Leopard, I have an Apple Tower G4 and I have plenty of spare USB hard disks, unfortunately I have no Dual Layer burner laying about so ideally I want to do this from a USB storage device.

Can anyone advise the correct way I can install this DMG to a brand new formatted system? The current hard disk in the G4 is formatted and empty. I do actually have a Mini Mac working at home also, If I need to use this to get this working then I can.

Thanks in advance.

D

ac⋅quire [uh-kwahyuhr] Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object), -quired, -quir⋅ing.

1. to come into possession or ownership of; get as one's own: to acquire property.

2. to gain for oneself through one's actions or efforts: to acquire learning.

3. Linguistics. to achieve native or nativelike command of (a language or a linguistic rule or element).

4. Military. to locate and track (a moving target) with a detector, as radar.

:)

"acquiring a .dmg' in this case, implies a pirated copy, eh?
Board rules don't allow discussion of warez on this site

I think a more specific question would be:

A legal, licensed copy of Leopard never came in a DMG file -- only on a DVD. How did you acquire a legal, licensed copy of Leopard in a DMG file?

The reason this is asked is because this forum is strictly legit. It's not here to help people pirate Mac OS X, or install Mac OS X on unsupported hardware (i.e., "hackintoshes"), or to discuss anything that is in violation of any license agreements and/or local laws.

We're not accusing anyone of anything, but before help can be rendered, we would like to clear up any licensing issues you may have with having Leopard in a DMG file, rather than the only legal, licensed way Apple provides Leopard: on a DVD.

There are legal ways you could have Leopard in a DMG file. We'd just like to know that your copy is legit before proceeding. Hope that's not offensive.

Thanks for the heads up guys, I do understand your point and can assure you this is a legit copy of Leopard which I have paid for.

I now have the DMG file now extracted to my USB pen. I am able to boot and see the MAC OSX Startup Disk on the USB Pen. However, as soon as the installer is loaded I get an error saying that MAC OSX can't be installed to this computer. The error indicates that I don't have the required hardware and to read the manual to see the correct specification.

This is a Mac G4 Tower, which previously had Leopard installed to a 20GB HDD, the reason I am doing this is that I want to upgrade my primary HDD to a 60GB and therefore reinstall Leopard. Can anyone please help?

Thanks.

D

It sounds like you may have a copy of leopard that came with a new machine in which case installing it on your G4 is not legal! You need to go and buy a legit retail copy of leopard.

This is the copy of Leopard I had with my original G4, this is the same G4 I am trying to install this image to. The reason I am doing this is that I have a new IDE hard disk I want to use as my primary drive. I will dig out the logs from the installer when I try it again and let you know the exact error I am getting back.

Thanks.

D

Here is a screenshot of my installer log: (Sorry for the size and quality)

leoparderror.jpg

You have to burn a DVD to carry you file. You need to install from the DVD.

I am afraid I don't have the DVD, this is from a USB pen with an image of Leopard that I purchased. I don't have the DVD anymore only the IMG file. This is from the copy of Leopard that I had when I bought my G4.

Are you saying this is the technical reason that Leopard will not install from a USB pen?

Thanks.

D

What are the hardware specs of your G4? Processor speed? Amount of RAM?

Leopard has minimum install requirements that your machine may or may not meet.

There are two possible reasons you would receive the "Installation checks failed" message:

1) Your computer does not meet the minimum specs required to install Leopard (which are detailed on Apple's Leopard page)
2) The Leopard installer you're trying to use is from a Mac OS X Restore CD/DVD, which is machine-specific, and not specific to your machine.

If you're simply trying to install a new hard drive and reinstall Leopard, there's a much easier way:

1) Download Carbon Copy Cloner.
2) Install the new 60GB drive alongside the 40GB drive inside the machine.
3) Use Carbon Copy Cloner to "clone" your existing installation from the 40GB drive to the 60GB drive.

Ah, OK - Leopard won't install because your processor is Too slow. Leopard installation is not supported on G4 processors below 867 MHz. There is a utility that can bypass that limitation.
If your hard drive ALREADY has Leopard installed, and you move that drive to your old G4, either as an internal drive, or a FireWire external drive, then your system will work fine (within the performance constraints of the slow processor.)
Here's a link to LeopardAssist, which can allow you to install on your unsupported G4.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/33657

Back