Installing old Leopard alternate boot with Snow Leopard

indianiec

Registered
Hello,
I have a tower Mac Pro with Snow Leopard running on it.
Unfortunately one of the software that I use doesn't have yet a Snow Leopard update. So I am thinking maybe I can install older version of Leopard on one of the internal drives (i have 3 additional internal drives), so I can boot my computer from either Leopard or Snow Leopard, depending on needs (i don't want to get rid of Snow Leopard).

I never installed OS X system before, so I am a bit scared.
The internal drive is ready, I have the old Leopard on disks, what are the next steps to take?

Thank you.
Indianiec

Simple: boot from the Leopard Install CD/DVD (put in CD, reboot computer, hold down 'c' until the system boots from the CD/DVD), then just follow the on-screen prompts to install Leopard.

Make sure you select the correct drive when it comes time during the installation to select the destination disk. Ensure that the disk is empty, or, if you have files on the disk, back them up to another disk before installing Leopard.

Then, you can use the "Startup Disk" pane in the System Preferences to choose which system to boot into.

Thank you so much.
What is the risk in this process? i remember five years ago going through a similar process on my old iMac when I tried to change the lost admin password (the computer had both Jaguar and OS 9 installed) . I rebooted from the disk, pressed C and then the computer got into a kernell panic mode and i could never use it again.

I think it would be unlikely for that same result...

Did your MacPro come with Leopard originally installed?
You can use that restore DVD, and you should expect it to install properly on your desired HD.

Back