Insufficient priviledges

irg63

Since the advent of Leopard I have become increasingly frustrated by the amount of times I am informed (while logged into my own computer as administrator) that I have insufficient priviledges. On occassion I am not even given the option to 'validate' I do not want to logout and login as root all the time. I understand that I can use the root username and password, but I am not always even given this option.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you in advance

It is to protect people from screwing up your Mac. If you look at OS X (or most any Unix based systems) there are levels. In OS X the top level (the first level of the Mac when you double click on the hard drive icon) that contains Applications, Developer (maybe if you installed the free tools), Library, System, Users. The REAL top level is in the System Folder (don't EVER mess with this folder). This top level is why where Apple installs the applications so EVERY User on the Mac has access to the program. Now if you look into Users-Your User Name folder it looks almost the same as the Top level. The User Level is YOUR Stuff.

Now You probably are wondering why you can install applications into Applications. Apple set this up this way so all kinds of users can have access to all the Applications on the machine.

I urge you to learn more about OS X by buying the book Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual [ILLUSTRATED] (Paperback). It will help you become a more informed OS X user and it it is a very easy to read funny book.

Thanks for your time in replying to my questions SATCOMER - I have been using OS X since 2003 before Leopard it did not do this, so as far as I'm concerned it is idiocy - that is why I'm trying to find a way around it - why have an administrator account that you don't even have sufficient priviledges to move a file? - why should I have to log out of my Administrator account and log in as Root simply to install or move a file? Hey-ho!

What file(s) are you trying to move? As an Administrator, you should be able to move just about anything you want located in any folder with the exception of /System and /Library, and some areas of /Users.

Which files inside of which folders are specifically telling you that you don't have enough privileges?

Hi ElDiabloConCaca - thanks for replying - one of the things I've been trying to do is install the latest version of Flash Player 9 UB - I'm now going to install it from root and that'll work, but I don't like having to log out and log in to do this. There are other things that I have tried to do and not been allowed to: I prefer to move files rather than copy them as I find computers too readily make copies all over the place - In Tiger (I think it was) it was no problem I was never asked to 'authenticate' when I dragged a folder or a file while holding the command key down to 'move' rather than 'copy' it... lets see if this Flash Player will install now.

You shouldn't need to install the Flash player as root. Most of the time when you install a program via the installer, you'll be asked to authenticate -- this is not unnatural, and is the way Mac OS X is designed.

What exact files and folders are you trying to move when you're asked to authenticate?

Thanks again ElDiabloConCaca - Authenticate would be reasonable although I would prefer if I wasn't asked - it is my computer, I set myself as administrator and don't think I should have to authenticate. I've just had a similar occurance when I tried to install a new version of Ten Thumbs Typing Tutor by droping the new version into the Applications folder - so that it would overwrite the older version - this is a common way of upgrading in OS X - but I am informed that I cannot do it as I have insufficient priviledges... again, I'm going into the root... I have just had to do the same in order to upgrade OmniOutliner too.

I am also being asked to enter my password to simply put an Alias, a .dmg or application in the bin - an app I understand, maybe at the limit a .dmg too, but surely not an alias!

I have had a lot of weird issues with this machine and have been very disappointed with it...

Another odd thing that keeps happening is that certain websites and programs that I download insist on giving me either the French or Spanish versions.

I have the feeling that we got a rough machine - everyone tells me they've no problem with MacIntel, but since we bought it in 2005 we've had stacks of problems - nothing you could take the machine back and say 'It's broken' but crashes, the whole machine freezing up requiring a reset - all things that still don't happen to my Powerbook PPC 1.5 GHz which is still running the latest version of Leopard without a hitch...

Last edited:
I am now told that I do not have sufficient priviledges to rename this alias:

OpenOffice.org.app alias

however when I check the 'info' I am on the user list and my privilege is Read & Write.

I am having this authentication problem trying to trash an older version of Google earth to install a new one over it. How do you sign in as root, which is mentioned in several emails but not explained? I too have administrative priviledges as well as the only user on the notebook. Is this a programming error to tell people they do not have sufficient privileges? I only know it is very annoying and ridiculous.

... you first have to enable root user, I'll explain later when I'm at home - have to use a pc at work, not a mac in sight.

I've largely solved my problem now, by a clean re-install.

Try this simple fix. Open System Preferences->Accounts and highlight your account. There change the password then restart. After the restart change the password back to what you want, restart. Hopefully this should fix your problem.

Now if you read [HOWTO] Fix User lost Administrator privileges you could have fixed the problem in the bud.

Also after changing the password back immediately launch /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and "Repair Permissions" (this will take a little).

Good Luck.

Yes... I have had this problem LOADS as well. I can't update apps sometimes, or replace an old app with a new (I have to delete/send to trash the old app before the new version can be moved to the APP folder)... it used to just replace the APP. These are just examples. How... HOW can I not have sufficient privileges on MY OWN computer in the ADMIN account?

Back