Internet performance issues - maybe?

karavite

Registered
Thought this was the right place for this. New iMac using the same old Comcast cable modem I have had forever. Many pages, even ones I have recently visited or are simple (like Google) take many seconds to appear. "Loading" will display in Safari for up to 5, 10 seconds or more. Other times things are fine. Mac is plugged right in with an ethernet cable and yet a PC on the wireless seems much faster. Did a few of those online performance tests from the Mac and came up with about 3000 KB - that seems good. Anything I can check or use to troubleshoot? Settings in Safari or something? It's kind of a drag.

You want people to diagnose a "problem" knowing only that you have an iMac and a PC of unknown specifications when you use an unspecified network to visit unspecified websites? And if I understand your "problem," your iMac "seems" slow, but the performance benchmarks "seem" good. Is this correct?

Thought this was the right place for this. New iMac using the same old Comcast cable modem I have had forever. Many pages, even ones I have recently visited or are simple (like Google) take many seconds to appear. "Loading" will display in Safari for up to 5, 10 seconds or more. Other times things are fine. Mac is plugged right in with an ethernet cable and yet a PC on the wireless seems much faster. Did a few of those online performance tests from the Mac and came up with about 3000 KB - that seems good. Anything I can check or use to troubleshoot? Settings in Safari or something? It's kind of a drag.

First try the usual things like empty cache/reset Safari. Next try another browser like FF. If no difference bypass the router, plug in the iMac directly and do a reset of the modem so it sees the MAC address of the iMac and try it that way for a while to rule out it being a flaky router issue.

Thanks djackmac, performance in Firefox is better and that is indeed weird. I previously cleared out everything in Safari to no avail. The original point here is with a two week old Mac, browsing in Safari is slower than other computers in the house and an old mac running Safari it replaced.

MisterMe, why waste your time with the pseudo-elitist techno pedantry?

Last edited:
Run Onyx on your iMac, particularly the cleaning utilities, especially under the user to delete the caches. Hopefully that should wake Safari up for you

Thanks djackmac, but don't worry about me. I have Safari zooming like a rocket ship. It is awesome. Another forum without snotty pedants solved it quite quickly. As some might have guessed knowing the processor or windows version on a PC referenced in browser performance was not required in the slightest. I guess some people are just smarter, more polite and doubtless more successful in all aspects of being a human being (money, sex, love... you name it). Others have had and probably will have this problem, but I'm not sharing here. Let MisterMe help them with his combination of top notch technical diagnostic skills and that fantastic bedside manner of his.

Last edited:
Another forum without snotty pedants solved it quite quickly.

Others have had and probably will have this problem, but I'm not sharing here. Let MisterMe help them with his combination of top notch technical diagnostic skills and that fantastic bedside manner of his.

That was completely unnecessary. Real nice to announce that you found a solution on another forum and then to say you refuse to share the solution to help others because one member here rubbed you the wrong way. I don't think anything MisterMe had done is half as childish as you are posting. Please feel free to get lost and never post here again as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: Actually never mind, just added you to my ignore list ;-/

Last edited:
Is this a forum of little teen age girls or what? Babies! Sense of humor? Forget it. Not like it used to be around here. Glad there are other forums with members who have, I don't know, a spine. Djmackwhatever, I am saddened we will never ever speak again. I will miss your feminine shrillness and over the top melodramatic indignation. You must be a big jane Austin fan?

Others who have come here for help recently know what I mean. The attitude, the snot, the arrogance and holier than thou of some on here is a distinct turn off. Only a few of the old timers are above this and are fantastic people and very helpful, but a place I used to go to all the time is now way down the list when I need answers. I even donated money to this place at one time. Too bad.

Here is one place you can find the answer - it has to do with DNS servers and a known issue with Leopard. Adding the DNS servers shot my Safari performance through the roof and the delays and slow loading pages are a thing of the past. http://installingcats.com/2008/06/05/slow-internet-with-leopard/

Now, off to briskly browse support forums without all the drama.

Last edited:
Well OpenDNS is now available in Amsterdam and London. I urge everyone over in Europe near these cities ue this service because if ISP DNS servers there as bad as over here in America then using this customizable service will be so much better for your surfing. Plus if you using this service if you contribute to PhishTank and help others avoid Phishing sites.

Back